Hi, Im new.........

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by ylojelo, Feb 12, 2008.

1. imported_raphalee

imported_raphalee New Member

wow... thanks a lot fred..
    oh.. i went to a marina near LA and i will take sailing class in a capri at the beginning, is it ok in your opinion? is it smaller,bigger, easier or more difficult to sail?
    and thank you again

2. Fred P

Fred P Member

I'm not familiar with a Capri but I'm guessing it's bigger than a 'fish because they usually give lessons in bigger boats. You will still need lots of practice on the 'fish because all boats have their own characters. You need to learn the limits of the boat and your abilities. The 'fish is very different from larger boats in that it responds to the wind and the sailor much faster.

Good luck.

3. Offramp

Offramp New Member

I had a Capri 16.5, now called a Catalina 16.5 A 16' daysailer with a main sail and a jib sail. There is also a smaller version, a Capri 14 or 14.5. If one of these is the "Capri" that you will train in, it is a "bigger" boat than a sunfish and has two sails instead of one.
    Don't worry about it being more difficult to sail, your instructor will be guiding you through all the beginner facets of sailing.

4. scap114

scap114 Member

The basics of sailing stay pretty constant, adapting them to your boat is what takes practice. Each boat will have its own 'personality'. A book that I like is an old book, now out of print, but can be found on-line through the major retailers under "out of print' is a book called "Invitation To Sailing". It is written for a sailing course and includes many diagrams and end of the chapter 'tests'. The Author is Alan Brown and it was published by Simon and Schuster. Will every chapter be useful, maybe not, but there is a lot of useful information in the book. It is geared to small boat sailing, with the emphisis on boats with a main and jib, but the points of sail and handleing of the boat can apply to any boat. Alan Brown also wrote a second book, "Invitation To Sailboat Racing" which is along the same line, as a companion book to his first. Brown was a sailing instructor in upstate New York, instructing at the Ithaca Yacht Club, Rochester Yacht Club and Conesus Lake Yacht Club.

5. supercub

supercub Member

After your lessons with the Capri, you will need to practise with the Sunfish, especially righting it after a capsize. A Sunfish, with your body being closer to the water than in the Capri is a "wet boat" meaning you will get wet more often than not from bow spray, large wakes and waves you don't go over (submarining) and such. The SF has less controls than the Capri (no jib) so it is simpler to rig, but it is also a challange to sail well.

Do the capsize practise in shallow water near the shore and with help nearby watching for the first few times. Try to do it on a relatively calm day at first. If you can't sail the SF into a capsize, grab the mast, stand up, lean out and it will go over. Do it on different days under different conditions, it is a bit more difficult on windy days with more wave action. If you are in deep enough water, you can turtle it (completely upside down), but just grab the dagger board and lean back, it will come up, although it may seem like forever. With practise, you can usually be underway again in less than 2 minutes. Good Luck.

Photo credit to Margaret Gill, Creve Coeur Sailing Association Photographer (yes, that's me in the water:))

Attached Files:

6. imported_raphalee

imported_raphalee New Member

wow thanks a lot community!! nice pictures !!
    the capri they teach is no more than 9 feet long i think...
    i bought the book sailing "for dummies", it's very helpful and has lots of useful information, even for people who already knows how to sail!
    i'm having tests at college, but it will finish this week, so hopefully on the weekend i will be having the classes
    thanks for the pictures, support and motivation!

7. Fred P

Fred P Member

Supercub:
    Shouldn't you have the bow to windward? I always thought that was the best way to right the boat.

Fred