Flying dutchman

gigo07

Hello friends
Do you think one person can sail a 2 sails sailboat like a flying Dutchman ? or 2 people is a must.
what about sailing it with just the main sail, just 1 sail ?? thanks !

The answer to the first question is a big NO. The foresail of the FD is so huge that it’s (in)famously quite a handful even for strong and experienced crews. Try to additionally sheet the main and steer, and you have a disaster waiting to happen :confused:

The second alternative may actually be doable. You’d then want to 1) rake the mast all the way up (genoa halyard max tight - leaving the sail furled of course :rolleyes: ) and 2) move the centreboard pin max aft (if that’s adjustable), and not pull the board all the way down. All this to try to get the balance in the ballpark at least.
Also, if you sail by main alone, keep the traveller to leeward all the time and sheet down harder than you normally would.
The self-tacking trapeze can’t be used from behind the mainsheet, so you have to figure some kind of jury rig for that.

How old is your boat and who built it? Pictures would be nice :)

_

Last edited:
Yes, give us a picture. FDs are so nice to look at and I would love to have a sail on one. Not going to happen anytime soon though as I have never seen one in my neck of the waters (mid-Atlantic USA).

I single hand this Tornado, jib, main, AS spinnaker often. Just pick your wind and gain technique in peaceful weather. I don’t pop the kite if it’s chippy.

learn y boat and start at main only.

Attachments

• IMG_8746.jpeg
    IMG_8746.jpeg
    913.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2511.jpeg
    IMG_2511.jpeg
    339.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_6823.jpeg
    IMG_6823.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 61

Back