Elasticity

iain_CAN165061

As we all know, there is shock chord that you can attach to the clue of you sail to keep a little tension on the outhaul for light wind sailing. Well, are you allowed to have one for the Cunningham? It has been on my mind for a while, thinking about it.
Possible outcomes could be:

Go from the vang tang… through the sail grommet, and onto the cunningham double block (new system).. But that would pull the sail tight. (Just go with me)

Go from the gooseneck to the cunningham double block… but that would be not enough elastic room… (with a lot of tension it would break the shock chord)

So I finally came up with a system… where you go from the vang tang… through a block at the gooseneck than to the cunningham double block… and it would work, enough elastic to allow the Cunningham full tension and looseness, and also not effecting the sail’s shape.

Is it legal?

Please respond,

iain

It falls under the Laser Class Fundemental Rule in Part 1
Laser Rules

Since it's not specifically mentioned in Part 2 (the Outhaul shockcord is) it's not allowed.

Are you referring to what would be the inverse of a cunningham? to help pull the tension off the cunningham in light winds?

I've tried doing that with asome bungie cord, and it does work. I used it ain a few regattas this summer, and nobody ever mentioned anything to me, other than 'wow that's a good idea!' etc...

I'm not sure if it's legal or not, but I use it without any problem :)

Back