Drain plug

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by LAuman, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Chaswatkins

Chaswatkins New Member

Speaking of drain plugs, mine is leaking. Seems to be weeping by the outside of the plug sleeve. Any suggestions for a fix? Does it screw in tighter or do I need epoxy?

2. Alan Glos

Alan Glos Active Member

Remove the plug, coat with a little silicon sealer and screw the plug back in. It should not leak but can be opened later with a screw driver if you need to drain the hull.

Alan Glos
    Cazenovia, NY

3. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

Another day of sailing, and nothing came out of the drain plug—so I think that the one rainy day we had last week—caused rainwater to enter the hull's interior through small cracks in the footwell. Because my Sunfish is stored on rollers, I can see a lot of flex under the footwell. Another "wild-card" in this mix, is that I've switched to a Barrington daggerboard that is a very tight fit.

Through the drain plug hole, I "routed" what I could reach with a two-foot-long spade bit, but didn't seem to hit any "pay dirt". :oops:

As to pressure-testing, I'm not inclined to repair a daggerboard leak—if I had one—especially as it's still nice sailing weather. :D

I did try blowing into the hull, and just got sorta dizzy. ;)

• Like Like x 1