Cunningham on starboard ?

Philip

This question has probably been answered before but I have searched and not fond an answer.
With the new deck cleats what sides should I lead the outhaul and cunningham? I currently have cunningham on starboard and outhaul on port. What is best and why? Any ideas appreciated.

Phil

i have seen both ways.

i use cunningham on starboard for one reason.
at the start your outhaul is set for the upwind, you don't need to change it.
your cunningham is usually totally off to accelerate off the line.
therefore keeping it on the starboard side allows you to adjust it.

also, when rounding the leeward, it's very important to be able to adjust the outhaul before rounding the mark. having the outhaul on the port side makes sure it's closer to your for the rounding.

i don't know why anyone has it the other way, but i'm sure they have their reasons. in the end, like always, it's personal preference, neither way will make you go faster.

It does not make much of a difference which side you rig outhaul and cunningham. I prefure my outhaul to starboard because it seems to work slightly better with my outhaul set up, but that is just preferance try both ways and choose the side that you like best. Keep Sailing.

I find that i pull in my cunningham and outhaul at the leeward marks and let them both off at the windward marks so i dont think it matters. When it is windy enough so that you have the maximum cunningham on i pull it in on the leeward rounding. I brace my legs on the bulkhead and pull it on all the way. Seeing as i am already on the port side it is right there.

It doesnt really matter its what you find more comfortable there is no advantage on either side!

Back