Chance to sail in San Diego Bay

kentth

I realize this is a little off topic, but I have a question for some of you who located in the San Diego area. I am going to be attending a conference in San Diego in late Sept. The conference offers a number of free activities. One of them is an afternoon on one the old America Cup 12 meter boats.

I am leaning that direction, either that or playing golf at Maderas. My wife says play golf, she is actually thinking about doing the sailing, this from someone who does not like me to heel the boat. She thinks that I would be bored, since I tend to like to push my boats to the edge of the envelope and feels this will be more of a leisurely sail around the bay.

So has anybody here sailed on these boats and how is it? Keep in mind I love to race and if the rail isn't in the water, I am not going fast enough.

I am going to be there the weekend before the conference, Sept 21-24, not sure if there are anybody who might need crew on the 18th.

Thanks in advance.

Kent

I've not sailed a 12 meter there and would say you can golf anywhere, so take the boat!

However, be sure to get over to the Catamaran Resort on Mission Bay and rent a keel version Capri 14.2 -- they are equipped with the roller furler and are fun. As I recall, they also rent Catalina 16's and 18's.

-- Edward

The boats are the 50000 pound 80' IACC boats, not the older 12 meters. I went for an afternoon pony ride on one about 5-6 years ago. It was a nice time and I'm glad I did it. I live in San Diego , love to race and sail. This will be a harbor sail on an impressive old box rule boat, not a race but its still cool to do.

Maderas is a nice course and enjoyable too unless you are a hack of a golfer but it can be hot inland (90-100+) that time of year .

Both are enjoyable activities

On a side note, rail in the water is slow on most modern boats and on a 14.2 its really slow:D

Good luck.

Fan:

Thanks for the come back. I guess I should have said hiked out, not rail in the water. Normally when I get the rail in the water or at times the opposite seat in the water it is survival time, just trying to keep the boat up right, but it can really be fun. I normally sail solo in gusty conditions, have seen it go from 10 to 20+, back to 10 many times.

I might just try to rent a boat for a day and take the admiral out. If you have any suggestions on some place out there to rent a 20-25 footer for a day it would be appreciated.

I have experience, recent, in up to 42' cats and monos.

Again thank for the come back

Kent

Over the years I've rented from Harbor Inland Yacht Club www.harboryc.com

Clean boats, nice people. Let me know when you'll be in town, maybe go for a sail on Mission Bay.

I will check out Harbour yacht club. We have a convention out ther from the Sept 21-24, but we are flying in on the 17th, so we can spend sometime enjoying the area.

Maybe we can get together when we are our there.

Thanks again for the info.

Kent

Back