Centerboard for 14.2

JC Smith

7-11-05

I recently purchased a used Capri 14.2 from an individual, and like many using this forum am going through the learning process of a determining what may have been changed or modified by a previous owner.

I have noticed that when sailing, the centerboard starts to vibrate when the boat starts to heel!

I have pulled the centerboard assembly out of the centerboard well. The centerboard is mounted between two stainless steel brackets with a pin welded to one bracket and a sleeve welded to the other bracket. The pin fits into the sleeve, but doesn't extend flush with the outside of the sleeve bracket. Are the centerboard brackets (pin and sleeve) the way the centerboard came from the factory?

The boat also has a thumb screw that mounts in the main sail track of the mast. I haven't figured out what it's used for?

Thanks in advance for your help, this forum has been very helpful and I enjoy reading the post.

Regards,

John

The center board bracket sounds right. What year boat do you have?

The "thumb screw at the end of the boom nearest the mast goes through the groment in the lower conner of the main sail (the tack).

Centerboard 14.2

rjsailnsd said:
The center board bracket sounds right. What year boat do you have?

The "thumb screw at the end of the boom nearest the mast goes through the groment in the lower conner of the main sail (the tack).

Richard,

Tnx for your reply!

The Capri was build in 1988 the hull number is 2232.

I guess what I am trying to determine is if the centerboard has too much play between the brackets, and the centerboard is not staying stationary, when the boat starts to heel.

John

When the boat is "loaded up", that is when the sails are drawing and the boat moving, the centerboard should be firmly situated in the well, because of the load on the centerboard. You might have noticed that the centerboard vibrates in a certain speed range. At those speeds, the centerboard is being vibrated at its natural frequency, at which it will vibrate noticably. The solution is to "tune" it to another frequency by stiffening it. A good way to do this is by lining the centerboard well with carpet, such as available here:

http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d84000/e81523.asp

Anyway it wounds like there's nothing wrong with your CB installation. C14.2s generally don't humm unless you are going very fast anyway. Good luck.

Back