Capri OMEGA 14: Need information for this model

Discussion in 'Capri/Catalina 14 Talk' started by Guest, Dec 31, 2003.

1. kst

kst New Member

Curious how you got the boat upside down on the saw horses? I need to do that and wondering the best approach. I will have to do this alone.

2. c14_Jim

c14_Jim Sailing on Shelter Bay

Here is an (attached) isometric drawing I did of my Omega 14. It is number 514 and it was built in 1971, I am told. If you want more diagrams I have the standard side and top view schematics that Catalina made and shared with me. Jim

Attached Files:

3. kst

kst New Member

Jim,
    Thanks for the post. The drawing was very well done.

Couple of questions for you if you have the time...

1. Why did you fix the traveler?
    2. Still haven't been able to get mine in the water for our first sail. Wondering just how stable the boat is and how many people you've had in it at one time?

I just added the shock cord mod for the centerboard as recommended by Catalina. I have info for this mod if you need it.

Thanks in advance for your time in answering!

4. c14_Jim

I'll try replying from the email I got. Not sure it will work, we will see. 1. My "traveler" is a line tied to the port and stbd aft corners of the boat. One side is just a couple of half hitches so I can adjust it at the dock after I get the boom rigged and the sail up. If you allow the pulley from the boom (aft end of the main sheet) to slide then you will not be able to hold the boom to center, it will fall off and....as you tighten it it will flatten the leech. By fixing the sheet on the traveler you allow some "twist" in the leech (this is good in all but overpowering wind) while still pulling the boom closer to center than the outside aft corner of the boat. BTW, if you want to learn the intricacies of sail trim, start by learning about "twist". I'll post a little diagram on the forum.
    2. Stability is subjective. I have had two adults and my two grand kids (maybe 460 lbs total) out in a fresh breeze and it was great. The key is keeping the boat properly balanced and never let go of the mainsheet. The boat is designed for two adults and three would work okay. Four adults is pushing it in anything but light wind. Stability? I don't believe this is an extremely stable boat. It is adequately stable, but there is always a trade off between stable and fast. My Lido 14 seemed more stable. I have sailed all my life on dozens of different small boats and I love my Omega 14 and have no problems with it even single handing. But if you are new you might practice under main only for a bit to get the feel of the boat. Hope this helps. Jim

Attached Files:

5. kst

kst New Member

Jim, thanks for the reply and info re twist. Just one thing, you mentioned to never let go of the mainsheet. I let the sheet out when heeling is too extreme - could you expand on your comment? Thanks again!

6. c14_Jim

the only times I have capsized or come close in a small boat was when I had the main (or spinnaker) sheet cleated and was hit by a gust of wind and could not release it in time. In my Lido I installed a ratcheting main sheet cleat/block so it was easy to hold on to without putting in into the cleat. On my Omega I built a (nice, if I do say so myself) barney post so the angle is higher and it is easier to get the sheet out of the cleat when hiking out. The problem is that when a gust hits you hike out and it makes it difficult to release the main because the angle and distance to the main sheet cleat is all wrong. Elevating it helps. Ratchet blocks and one rachet block with cleat. Barney post below. rachet block.JPG barney post pictureJpg.jpg rachet block.JPG barney post pictureJpg.jpg

7. kst

kst New Member

Thanks, Jim, great stuff! My experience is with large keel boats so very helpful. Have you any info re using the trailer winch to raise the mast? I just sprained my back <again> stepping it up. I was thinking maybe a temporary spreader between the mast and forestay to increase the angle of pull but not sure if this is necessary. Did a search on the topic but no joy.

8. c14_Jim

The short answer is "no". I purchased this boat, in part, because I could step the mast all by my self. I have had, in the past, two Lido 14's and they have a mast that steps on the foredeck in a tabernacle with a bolt that acts like a hinge and could be raised as you described. I suppose you could manufacture such an arrangement on the Omega, but those kinds of projects always turn out more complicated than imagined. TABERNACLE LIKE IDEA.jpg

9. BluHrz

BluHrz New Member

pilot881 I would like to hear more about how the restoration is going. I have just acquired an Omega 14 with a serial # in the 1900's. I am a bit leary of the fiberglass because it feels brittle when I step into the boat i hear some cracking if I step on the seats. Is your in similar condition?

10. c14_Jim

Yep. I actually cracked my seat on the port side so badly I had to make a new access port on the vertical side of the seat and reach up under and reinforce it with structural fiberglass putty. Mine is an older one too. I do notice very minor cracks along the floor next to the vertical part of the seats on both sides and assume it is the fiberglass breaking down. But I don't get any water inside the hull from that apparently.