Capri 13 question

doehunter

Hello,
I couldn't find a place for Capri 13 info so I came here. I hope someone here might be able to help me out.
I just bought a Capri13 used. It's an '84 model I think. In the pictures it looked real nice.
The sail and all of the rigging are good.
On the 2nd time out in it, the fiberglass started to break, under where I was sitting on the side. The glass on the sides of the cockpit, and the area where you sit is very thin and it flexes too much under my weight. I weigh about 215lbs.
Is it possible to separate the top from the bottom hull, so I can add strength, from the inside?
I have done fiberglass repairs before on my OD11, and my patches are strong but look ugly if done from the outside. I haven't done gelcoat myself yet and I don't want to ruin the outside of the boat.
Maybe I should just stay out of it and let my kids use it?
Jim.

On the 14 there is a cuddy that you can crawl into to make hull repairs. Someone was telling me the other day though that in order to shore up structural integrity he would insert closed cell block foam roughly to shape and then fill the remaining space with expanding foam. If you don't have a cuddy then you can you can cut inspection ports.

There is no cuddy on the 13. I was hoping to avoid making cuts from the outside.
I noticed that the top and bottom are already separated at the tip of the bow. i thought I could just go all the way around the boat and separate the top and bottom but I'm worried that they will be glued together on the inside where I can't get to them .
i know this forum is for 14's. Is there a better place to search for Capri 13 owners?
Maybe they didn't sell that many of them?
thanks,
JIm

Back