Boat for a freind

sailor327

anyone know of a boat that can easily be used doublehanded and singlehanded for a freind who is in the 200lb. range

Re: Boat for a friend

Hi sailor327,
probably try it with a Laser-2. Myself (I´m over 200 lbs), I´ve done a lot recreational sailing with rented Laser-Pico´s (only rigged with the mainsail). Last will also go for your fiend, but for an own boat for 1 + 2 sailors I would prefer a Laser 2, because the fun is greater. Used Laser-2 in nice-price/fair-condition you also can get easy in NA. They are also a good international racingclass.
If you sail the Laser-2 singlehanded, you don´t rig the jibe/spi in stronger winds of course. It is possible to cartop the Laser-2 on moderate-big cars (f.e.:vans)
If your firend already is a very good sailor, he also singlehanded can take (up to force 3-4) a "Fireball". I´ve done this a lot in the beginnig of the 80´ies - it was also a big fun. But the Fireball is not good car-toppable (in reason of the mast that is one piece).
Ciao
LooserLu

Re: Boat for a friend

sailor327 said:
welln he actually wants to buy a bboat to learn on and he is like 5' 9" so he is not the quikest
The advantage of a Laser 2 is, the sailor (or they) can learn with her. First in lower winds and step by step behavior will becomes quicker.

When I start my season, every spring, I feel like I´m in "age 80+" and behave like my weight maybe is at 350 lbs, you understand. Then aft a while (I mean aft several heavy capsizings in to much wind for the LooserLu) my 46438 Laser1 remember me and I also her behaviour and all become good at least. But during that time, it is always a great fun for all in the habour, that luckily have the chance to enjoy looking LooserLu´s "spring"-learnings of the other big "Fundamental"-Laser-classrule: "The original-builder-supplied-Laser(-1) is not permitted to forgive any mistake of the helmsman. Any mistake has to be punished at once by the concerned original-builder-supplied-Laser(-1)...";).
But the Laser-2 is a way / by far friendlier I guess.
LaserPico would also go. But the deck of the hull is flat - more something for "recreational-sail-bathing" in warm+sunny beach-weather with a good looking lady near by side. Fixing the foots works enough for recreational young sailors but terrible for heavy sailors with long legs (like me). This means, it is needed for such big persons, to have already a good ("butt"-)sense for when it is time to hike and when not. The "waterside" of the hull of the LaserPico looks like the younger sister of the Laser1, but the quality of durabilty is different in all (better - in reason of different/newer knowhow of production and inner construction that seems to be recognized by the builders in that type of Laser-boat). The Dutch boat-hirers and sailing-schools love that LaserPico´s. And for a (short) while it will go to sail with her (especialy for "hungry"-recreational-Laserites, that have no own boat and only one or two times a years time to play with Lasers, like the LooserLu in the 90´s...) The rigg+sail of a Laser-Pico not really something for stronger winds, but it will hold also in guts up to force 5, although it dosn´t look like it would hold....
The Laser 2 is already a respectable short-open-sailboat with enough squaremeters of sail to have fun in low and especially stronger winds. There is no need to rigg the spi, if the sailors are not able in handling of such a balloon-sail. But two Sailors, also bigger persons, can sail her decent. Hiking is much better than in such LaserPicos, because of the different technique, which is an importand point especially for (advanced-)beginners. The rigging of Laser2 (but also LaserPico) is a joke compared to other boats and for such Lasers you don´t need a trailer.
The Fireball is definitely nothing for beginners or advanced beginners. So, forget this nice "monohull-rocket". On the website of UK-Laserbuilder (http://www.lasersailing.com) and probably Vanguad-homepage are usefull descriptions of severall other open-sailing-boats you / your friend should read.
At least, before he/she/they buy a boat, it is very important, to go out and test all on the water with the boat thats on their list the No. 1. It´s the same like with cars.
Good sailing
LooserLu

Steven said:
without question, Megabyte. It is what and how a laser should have be designed and built
Yes, Steven you are right. But the Megabyte is a singlehanded boat. But sailor327 asked for a single- and doublehanded sailboat. I´m not quite sure, if Mr. Bruce, the constructor of this boat and also a father of the Laser, offers a Rigg for the Megabyte, that deserves the requests of two sailors on that boat.
By the way, in addition to my last reply, I have to point to my attavar/ little pic above in every headline of my replies. There you can (if you can) see the LooserLu "lieing" in a borrowed LaserPico and start hiking while catching a nice breeze on the reach on a Dutch lake... :D in 1999
Ciao
LooserLu

I think that sailor327's friend is looking for a boat that can be sailed solo or with a passenger and the Megabyte can easily do that as there is enough room.

Back