"At Sea" movies

stollie

Hey all,
After recently watching the movie "All is Lost" with Robert Redford, I thought I'd start a fun thread for us to share our favorites. An older favorite of mine is Dead Calm with Sam Neil, Nicole Kidman, & Billy Zane.

Have to agree on "Dead Calm" with only 3 people in it. Amazing. "Das Boot" was good. "U-571" was so-so. Books? Well, sit back and let me tell you a tale. "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat. Very good WWII story.

Great thread and I also saw, "All is Lost." I would like to have seen it start out with more sailing scenes in the beginning and lead up to the accident though. They had their reasons for making it the way they did, I'm sure and it's definitely a good movie for sailing enthusiasts. Some of the other suggestions are now on my list, so thanks for that. I like dft1963's entry. "Master and Commander" is one of my favorite movies and a non stop sailing adventure.
I haven't been sailing in a bit as my group has been on hold for various reasons. As the weather warms, I'm just going to go soon, solo or not. Miss Tomales Bay!

Reactions: tag
Das Boot's ending was a shocker! Ice Station Zebra was a good 70' movie with some nice U-boat tension. Hunt for Red October.

Don't forget Gregory Peck as Captain Horatio Hornblower which was a very good yarn! And that great thriller...Cape Fear!

I agree with Wind... great movie I NEVER get tired of.

Here are some others:
Morning Light - the video documentary of Roy Disney putting together a crew of young sailors to compete in the TransPac
Deep Water - a documentary about Donald Crowhurst and the first solo circumnavigation

A news story just surfaced about an entire island population which had traveled to Australia to have surgery for each islander to have their appendix removed.

The islanders were from Pitcairn Island, which brought back memories of "The Bounty", with its several remakes.

While Charles Laughlin (1935) may not be your favorite movie Captain, I thought he was perfect! :cool:

Back