a Sunfish sailing fail - caught on video

tag

my2fish
I was looking through some of my GoPro video footage from sailing my Sunfish last summer on Lake Erie, and I put together this little clip of me flipping the boat over. I had been sailing a while and came in close to shore so that I could adjust the way my GoPro video camera was mounted back on the end of the lower boom.

I was looking through some of my GoPro video footage from sailing my Sunfish last summer on Lake Erie, and I put together this little clip of me flipping the boat over. I had been sailing a while and came in close to shore so that I could adjust the way my GoPro video camera was mounted back on the end of the lower boom.

Pretty awesome "fail" there... If you had just removed the daggerboard and set it in the cockpit you could have kept it in the wind with a little more panache... ;-)

Pretty awesome "fail" there... If you had just removed the daggerboard and set it in the cockpit you could have kept it in the wind with a little more panache... ;-)
AQBill, yeah - it's easy for me to critique myself now, but it made some sense (to me) at the time. oh well - live and learn!

Good on ya for sharing your "fail". I must admit, when I saw you raise your centerboard to higher than the boom, I suspected that was going to be the cause. It's all good though. Thanks for sharing! :cool:

- Andy

Reactions: tag
Triplets. Not only am I going to wear my PFD around you, but my bike helmet as well :)

k
I sailed in college when I was young and in shape. Now I am old and out of shape and really worried about flipping/capsize:rolleyes:. I bought a Sunfish and have had it a month. I am kind of afraid to sail it. My hub says he will go with me in his 17 foot foot fishing boat. The conundrum is: do I want to flop around like a beginner? Do I want to just do it? Hmmmmm

just go for it! flipping isn't always a bad thing... sometimes it is a nice opportunity to cool off on a hot summer day. :)

just go for it! flipping isn't always a bad thing... sometimes it is a nice opportunity to cool off on a hot summer day. :)
I went sailing yesterday and it was FABULOUS!!! It all came back to me in a flash. Somehow I even remembered how to rig the boat. I remembered to come about into the wind and didn't do anything overly stupid. BOOM!
Who knew??
Have you guys all realized that sailing a Sunfish is core exercise?? It truly is.

Reactions: tag

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 36

Back