2023 World Championship

cmac233

The 2023 Sunfush World Championship is at Coconut Grove Sailing Club in Miami, FL. Sailors started arriving yesterday. Charter boats are being set up as we speak. Sailors get their boats on Sunday.

Attachments

• 20231201_151759.jpg
    20231201_151759.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 110
A number of Sunfish 'big names'. Who do you favor?
One hundred boats will require a LONG starting line...
I predict a number of general recalls. Will I be off? :)

Many will know, but the 2023 Worlds were supposed to be held in September in Ecuador. Unfortunately, LaserPerformance decided not to send boats :(. Therefore, the Class had to find another site. Not trivial at all, but the Coconut Grove Sailing Club in Miami (FL) was able to step in. Moreover, Sunfish Direct was willing (and able) to provide (new) boats as needed. Another big THANK YOU! All will have a new sail (from North) with the ISCA emblem. The sail can be bought after the regatta, or returned to Sunfish Direct.

As beldar already mentioned, about half of the participants will bring their own Sunfish, with the remainder being chartered from Sunfish Direct. As can be expected in the current scenario, about half of the fleet will be from the USA (46 to be precise). The second biggest group is from Ecuador with 12 participants, including a large number of younger sailors :).

Favorites?
I counted six former World Champions on the entry list:
Jean Paul de Trazegnies (PER); 2018, 2022
Donnie Martinborough (BAH); 1983, 1985, 1988
Jonathan Martinetti (ECU); 2010, 2021
Paul-John Patin (USA); 1992
Malcolm Smith (BER); 1994, 1998, 2003
David Guzman (COL); 2019

Unfortunately, the champions from the PanAms won't be here (Lee Parkhill and Caterina Romero).

Three races were scheduled for today (Tue), but there was no wind... Or maybe I should say not enough wind for racing.:eek:
Lee Montes has been live on Facebook, talking to competitors both on and off the water.

Boats are launching as we speak. Winds are steady in the teens with gust above 20.

Attachments

• 20231206_101813.jpg
    20231206_101813.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
  • 20231206_101816.jpg
    20231206_101816.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 83
Yes, boats are moving a lot faster now (10:50 AM). The way the boats are leaving, I guess there is an 'exit' towards the bay on the right that's not visible on the webcam.

Conner Blouin (4,2,1) & Diego Silvestre Perez (3,1,3) are tied for first place with 7 points after 3 races.

Silvestre (GUA) wasn't on my bingo card! But he did win the 2022 Sunfish US Nationals.
Jean-Paul de Trazegnies had one bad result (wish I knew what happened), but once he gets that result out of the way (throw-out) he could still be a force.

Silvestre (GUA) wasn't on my bingo card! But he did win the 2022 Sunfish US Nationals.
Jean-Paul de Trazegnies had one bad result (wish I knew what happened), but once he gets that result out of the way (throw-out) he could still be a force.

Jean-Paul de Trazegnies had his fairlead pull out from the deck during race 2. He had a pretty good lead when it happened

Missed reporting yesterday (day 2), but my old mind vaguely remembers that Jonathan Martinetti (ECU) took the lead (a small one!). Jean-Paul de Trazegnies (PER) was able to discard the result from race 2 (101 points due to a DNF) and because he had an good day 2, jumped to second. Conner Blouin (USA) finished day 2 close by in third. All have a real chance of being crowned World Champion, as do several others among the top ten.

Another three races completed today/Friday (the 'spare' day). I looked earlier and after 8 races, de Trazegnies was in the lead, but Martinetti won the last race and jumped back in first with 33 points. De Trazegnies finished 14th in that one (race 9) and dropped to third in the overall standings (38 points). Conner Blouin was a bit more consistent with scores of 3, 3 and 9 and is now in second with 37 points. Canizales (GUA) is a bit further back with 47 points and Hernandez (GUA) rounds out the top five with 54 points. Only three races to go tomorrow.

What makes tomorrow's racing extra 'interesting' is that IF all three races are completed, there will be a second 'throw-out'. Hence, the top competitors will need a calculator on board :).

Last edited:
A black flag bonanza in race 11 today (14 boats disqualified, including some in the top ten).

• Wow
Reactions: tag
Over the line early.
It's a bit more complex. When the Black Flag is raised, no boat can be over the line IN THE LAST MINUTE prior to the start. Especially with a group of aggressive sailors who will be 'dipping' the line (going over and then back in just before the start), the RC can use this method to have some sort of order prior to the start and prevent a General Recall.

Another three races completed today/Friday (the 'spare' day). I looked earlier and after 8 races, de Trazegnies was in the lead, but Martinetti won the last race and jumped back in first with 33 points. De Trazegnies finished 14th in that one (race 9) and dropped to third in the overall standings (38 points). Conner Blouin was a bit more consistent with scores of 3, 3 and 9 and is now in second with 37 points. Canizales (GUA) is a bit further back with 47 points and Hernandez (GUA) rounds out the top five with 54 points. Only three races to go tomorrow.

What makes tomorrow's racing extra 'interesting' is that IF all three races are completed, there will be a second 'throw-out'. Hence, the top competitors will need a calculator on board :).
I don't profess to have an eye on the future, but that last sentence did summarize what happened on Saturday.
After race 10, Jonathan Martinetti was still in the lead with at least two others close by (Jean Paul de Trazegnies and Conner Blouin). However, several of the top contenders were 'black flagged' at the start of race 11. This put Blouin (previously in second place) and Canizalez (previously fourth) out of range for the championship unless the top two would have two 'disastrous' races in a row. de Trazegnies had a (for him) bad result (23) in race 11 which solidified Martinetti at the top prior to the final race 12. Winds were relatively light; conditions where Martinetti excels. However, de Trazegnies put it all together and finished first and Martinetti finished 7th. If there had been just one 'throw-out', Jonathan would have won the championship. But the Notice of Race stated that there would be two throw-outs if 12 races were completed. This allowed de Trazegnies to get rid of the (ugly for him) 23 score in race 11 and become the 2023 World Champion. Martinetti finished second, five points behind and Blouin finished third.

There are some nice videos on the US Sunfish Facebook page. Especially the drone video of the start of race 2 is great:

and a windward mark rounding:

But the Notice of Race stated that there would be two throw-outs if 12 races were completed. This allowed de Trazegnies to get rid of the (ugly for him) 23 score in race 11 and become the 2023 World Champion. Martinetti finished second, five points behind and Blouin finished third.

There are some nice videos on the US Sunfish Facebook page. Especially the drone video of the start of race 2 is great:

and a windward mark rounding:
I haven’t looked at the scores as closely as you. However, I am happy there was a second throw out as JP had a breakdown that was certainly beyond his control in the first race. It would’ve been unfortunate had he had to use a single throw out on that and have to live with the 23rd. Further above a post says he was winning the race until his boat broke down. So I think in the end we ended up with the correct world champion.

Other than JP’s bullseye pulling out how did the new boats perform?
A little 'digging' shows that six requests for redress based on various kinds of 'breakdowns' were filed during the 12-race series. Two of them were from a US participant (John Condon). I don't know whether he sailed his own yacht or a new one from LP. Four requests were filed by sailors from abroad; most likely sailing new boats.

All requests for redress were denied, but that is a different story.

Many will know, but the 2023 Worlds were supposed to be held in September in Ecuador. Unfortunately, LaserPerformance decided not to send boats :(. Therefore, the Class had to find another site. Not trivial at all, but the Coconut Grove Sailing Club in Miami (FL) was able to step in. Moreover, Sunfish Direct was willing (and able) to provide (new) boats as needed. Another big THANK YOU! All will have a new sail (from North) with the ISCA emblem. The sail can be bought after the regatta, or returned to Sunfish Direct.

As beldar already mentioned, about half of the participants will bring their own Sunfish, with the remainder being chartered from Sunfish Direct. As can be expected in the current scenario, about half of the fleet will be from the USA (46 to be precise). The second biggest group is from Ecuador with 12 participants, including a large number of younger sailors :).
Why the ISCA logo on the sails and not the Sunfish logo? The ISCA logo is pretty boring.

Why the ISCA logo on the sails and not the Sunfish logo? The ISCA logo is pretty boring.
Laser Performance first agreed to provide new boats and sails for the Worlds in Ecuador, then cancelled at the last minute. So when the class got a replacement event scheduled, I dont think they were very predisposed to promote LP’s business. And the racers prefer North Sails, which LP doesn’t offer, so for trademark reasons the fish logo couldn’t be used anyway.

Laser Performance first agreed to provide new boats and sails for the Worlds in Ecuador, then cancelled at the last minute. So when the class got a replacement event scheduled, I dont think they were very predisposed to promote LP’s business. And the racers prefer North Sails, which LP doesn’t offer, so for trademark reasons the fish logo couldn’t be used anyway.

LP has been very delinquent in suppling race sails for many years. When they have supplied them they have been from random vendors (Non North) and many had not been happy with the quality and shape of the sails. In the spring of 2023, ISCA worked out a deal with North to provide dealers with ISCA approved sails. Neither North or ISCA can use the Sunfish logo because the Sunfish trademark is owned by the owners of LP and of course LP was not going to provide permission to use their logo, so ISCA decided to place the ISCA logo on the new ISCA approved North Sail.

A Sunfish is a spec boat. Buy the racing version, adjust a few of the lines to your liking, and it’s ready to complete at the top levels.
I think, what I was trying say as a "Spec" boat it could be built by anyone and not just by LP. LP seems to be a problem for the class right now from I can see

It would be interesting if the ISCA went with a "SPEC" boat, similar to class 40 and others
The Class40 is a ”box-rule” class, meaning it has just a few maximum (or minimum) measurements, and you can come up with anything within those. Every boat can be a different design. That is very much the opposite of the Sunfish, which actually pioneered the single-manufacturer one-design concept.

what I was trying say as a "Spec" boat it could be built by anyone and not just by LP. LP seems to be a problem for the class right now from I can see
LP has been a problem for every class whose boats it has built.

There are many different levels of ”one-design”, and the obvious one for the Sunfish is where the Laser (now ”ILCA”) went, with multiple class association -licensed builders producing de facto identical hulls. The boats for the Worlds would be supplied by one of them at a time.

_

Last edited:

Back