1963 Wooden Sunfish

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by imported_Andy, Jul 8, 2012.

1. imported_Andy

imported_Andy Andy

Hmmm. I like to get it out and sail it a couple times a year, but maybe better to keep it stored? It does take on a few quarts of water the first time out each year, but its easy enough to sponge out, and after a couple days takes on very little....

2. signal charlie

signal charlie Active Member Staff Member

Anyone got an old splashguard they're not using?

Attached Files:

3. signal charlie

signal charlie Active Member Staff Member

Do you still have remnants of the hull? I was thinking that one could be copied and rebuilt piece by piece by looking at kit instructions and interpolating the homebuilt Sailfish prints? You'd have to learn to scarf plywood together, cut frames, kerf the chine etc...and spend a lot to have a wooden boat that could rot again...and be rebuilt again....

4. danpal

danpal Active Member

No, it was cut up and tossed. My father was fed up with me keeping it in the garage. It was moved to the backyard when I went to college where it died a quick death. I originally bought it from a friend who was having a yard sale so I didn't have the original plans.

5. imported_Andy

imported_Andy Andy

Question about possibility of racing.... Our club has an 'around the lake' race each year on Labor Day to end the racing season. I wouldn't race this boat in a regular club race... Too crowded, but this is a much longer race, and we're much more spread out. Anyway, I think it would neat to do, but wouldn't have a prayer with a 99.6 Portsmouth. Would there be a rating for a boat like this?