Zuma: water in the hull

lanctotd

Is it a problem that my Zuma sailboat collects some water in the hull after I sail for a number of hours? After I pull my boat out of the water I simply drain the water, but I wonder it this collection is evidence of a serious hole or crack. I checked the mast well and that holds water during a rain so I don't think it is there. I inspected the bottom and sides of the boat and see no evidence of cracks. There is a small separation (a few inches) where the bottom of the boat and the top are fused. Any suggestions for a novice.

Donald

Your boat should not be taking on water. The separation you found sounds like it could be the culprit, but use this technique to find the leak for sure http://www.sunfishforum.com/content.php?pg=airtest A Zuma must have a vent hole somewhere, but I don't know where. You will have to find it to have this test work.

I know what a Zuma looks like, but have never seen one on the water. How are they to sail? BB

I know what a Zuma looks like, but have never seen one on the water. How are they to sail? BB
There appears to be room for an adult couple. I've been watching a Zuma with blue/yellow sails for several days—she is almost always at the helm. ;)

Is it a problem that my Zuma sailboat collects some water in the hull after I sail for a number of hours? After I pull my boat out of the water I simply drain the water, but I wonder it this collection is evidence of a serious hole or crack. I checked the mast well and that holds water during a rain so I don't think it is there. I inspected the bottom and sides of the boat and see no evidence of cracks. There is a small separation (a few inches) where the bottom of the boat and the top are fused. Any suggestions for a novice.

Donald
Open the two hatches on either side of the compass & turn the boat so the sun shines into the boat interior. You may in fact have a small crack at the bottom of the mast well. Dry the inside of the mast well & keep the boat pointed so that the sun continues to dry the interior, then pour a little water into the mast well. It might confirm your suspicion.

An easy way out is to just go for broke and reseal the hull. I had water in one hull of my hobie 16 and water in my sunfish. No visable leaks anywhere. I bought one of the big size tubes of silicone, the ones you need a gun for. Cleaned up the hulls, removed the hardware and resealed all of it including the areas where the upper and lower hulls join. solved the issue on both boats!! Took about 2 hours for the Hobie and about 1 hour for the sunfish. Cost less than $10 each boat.

263ewzd[1].jpg
There appears to be room for an adult couple. I've been watching a Zuma with blue/yellow sails for several days—she is almost always at the helm. ;)

They're back!

Back