Zuma cover advice

NCWindRunner

Hello, I have a 1990's Zuma that was kept indoors for decades, but the last few years has been outside, upside down on the trailer. The impact of that is wearing on it quickly and I want to cover it, but right side up for convenience. Does anyone have experience with covers from SLO?
Zuma Sailboat Top Cover - Boat Deck Cover

On the subject of having been kept outside upside down, the bottom is starting to get a little chalky. Any suggestions on how to restore it?

FWIW, I ended up ordering a cover from Masthead. They happened to have one in stock, so no long wait to have it fabricated. It's the same Top Gun material and essentially the same price as the SLO cover, just with immediate shipping vs a 6-week wait. Nothing but the best for my Zuma :D

SLO does make good covers at decent prices. I have owned several of them.

Consider 3M Fiberglass Restorer to remove the oxidized problem you described. It is marine rubbing compound with a good wax included.
It comes in 2 or 3 grades depending on how badly your hull is oxidized. Good stuff but a little pricey.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

We do indeed have some experience with SLO covers...they offer several material selections based on needs, Top Gun would be better for trailering than Sunbrella, as SUnbrella chafes and wears quickly at Interstate speeds. But we like Sunbrella for its breathability, we tried TopGun once and in Florida the mildew built up quick. Adjustable web straps and Mast Up or Spars On Deck options are available.

Sunfish SHack Pre Sally.jpeg

We do indeed have some experience with SLO covers...they offer several material selections based on needs, Top Gun would be better for trailering than Sunbrella, as SUnbrella chafes and wears quickly at Interstate speeds. But we like Sunbrella for its breathability, we tried TopGun once and in Florida the mildew built up quick. Adjustable web straps and Mast Up or Spars On Deck options are available.

View attachment 46491

Nice! I ended up ordering the Top Gun, which was in stock. The boat is kept outside in coastal NC, but hopefully I won't have mildew issues. I won't be towing the boat with the cover on, or at least don't plan to.

Back