Zuma - Can I leave it on a mooring?

Peter in NH

I am thinking about buying and leaving a Zuma on a mooring on our lake. Can the sail be lowered or furled and left on the boat without disassembling the mast and boom? Is there space to store the sail on the boat?

Meh, reasons why I wouldn't follow that approach:

1) Boat more likely to become waterlogged or moldy over time. :confused:

2) Boat will ship water during squalls unless you rig some sort of weatherproof cover. :rolleyes:

3) Boat & boat parts more likely to get stolen... granted, this is "big city thinking." :eek:

What about a small shed or boathouse? If the lake is private, how about a rack & cover for the boat? Worst case scenario, put it on a trailer... just my $.02, aye? ;)

Thanks for responding. I understand all of those good points. My primary question, however is whether the mainsail can be easily lowered or stored without disassembling the mast and boom.

Ashore, yes... afloat, no. With my old Laser, one could furl the sail round the mast AFTER removing the battens... how ya gonna do that while afloat without it being a monumental PITA? How far offshore will the mooring be? Can you remove the battens, furl the sail, then paddle/swim/lead the boat to the mooring? You'd still have to return to shore to insert the battens before sailing again... if you knocked the boat down at the mooring to insert them, everything would get soaked (including you) and it'd be more dangerous clambering back aboard, yeah? Unshipping boom and mast to get at the battens would be equally ridiculous, particularly in any kind of breeze. Might as well derig ashore, secure spars and gear, then paddle/swim/lead the boat to the mooring. Again, my $.02, and believe me, I've considered all those options during island voyages---it was always easier to land, even on rocky reefs slippery with weed, LOL. :eek:

P.S. Leaving Wi-Fi now to return to the ol' hacienda, others will have to chime in here... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hey Redneck, doesn’t the Zuma has a halyard? Wouldn’t you lower the sail with that instead of taking the mast down??!!

Does it? Looked like a sleeve... and why would the OP ask if it did have a halyard? Maybe it does, I only glanced at one or two pics of the boat. A halyard would certainly make his life a bit easier, LOL. Rained cats & dogs here earlier, first real storm of the monsoon season, probably a remnant of that hurricane off Baja a few days ago... rivers running down the streets, and a body of water in my yard the size of Lake Superior, LOL. :eek:

So the sleeve is open at the head? Why would the OP ask about it if he could simply lower the sail? Makes no sense... meh, learn something new every day, I reckon. :confused:

I am thinking about buying and leaving a Zuma on a mooring on our lake. Can the sail be lowered or furled and left on the boat without disassembling the mast and boom? Is there space to store the sail on the boat?

Have a look at the Zuma handbook, it mentions that the sail has a zipper on the luff and a halyard. Hence it can be lowered, but not really "furled" as asked. Since the boat has no locker you would have to pack the mainsail in a bag and secure that to the boat. As mentioned above, this would not be the recommended approach though.
Also, since the mast seems to be unstayed, I wouldn't leave it up at all times.
I've sailed a Hobie cat in the past and yes, setting it up on the trailer everytime was a bit of a pain in the neck. However, having a boat in the water the whole season also leads to maintenance tasks like hull scrubbing.
Baseline is: "Pick your poison"

Back