News Zou Inter Marine Approved as New Builder

My opinion :confused:, the Chinese making these boats (and I assume parts as well), in mass production (like everything they always seem to do, especially with plastics, chemicals, etc), could potentially flood the market like they did with solar panels. If that drops the price of buying a new and/or used boat/parts down the road remains to be seen. Depending on your buying philosophy (Made in the USA, as an example), it could be a good or a bad thing.

One of the boats in the pictures has the traveller cleat installed backwards :D It’s a tiny funny detail, but shows it’s not a question of ”mass” production, in which the Chinese would have an edge.

Time will tell, but I think these boats won’t ”flood” the market. Of course it’s about what price is right, but sailors don’t necessarily choose the cheapest alternative. Zim will obviously be the North American dealer, so their reputation will certainly sell a few boats.

I try myself to buy as little stuff as possible produced in non-democratic countries.

_

One of the boats in the pictures has the traveller cleat installed backwards :D It’s a tiny funny detail, but shows it’s not a question of ”mass” production, in which the Chinese would have an edge.

Time will tell, but I think these boats won’t ”flood” the market. Of course it’s about what price is right, but sailors don’t necessarily choose the cheapest alternative. Zim will obviously be the North American dealer, so their reputation will certainly sell a few boats.

I try myself to buy as little stuff as possible produced in non-democratic countries.

_
We're having 5 of these delivered to Charleston on March 18th. It will be interesting to check them out.

How much of a "Deal" did you get compared to buying in North America or closer to home?

These were bought through the local ZIM dealer. I'm not in on the pricing but I'd guess the club got a fleet deal for buying 5 at a time. ZIM is also repping Ovi's and I understand 1 of those is going to come here soon as well.

Back