Zip tie sail to spars?

I like it. Or you can use 50 feet of 1/8 inch diameter dacron cord and a marlin hitch. Cut 2 pieces about 2 feet long for outhauls, then find the halfway point in the cord and work out each spar from the interlocking bolt.

15E8AAC5-235F-419D-9D89-34B495E66E1E.jpeg

Seems to work okay for Dozer on VIPER.

IMG_5073.jpg

Zip (ratchet) ties work fine and are easy to attach and cheap enough that you can just cut them off if you need to remover the sail. Just make sure there are no sharp edges to the ties if you trim the excess plastic as they could chafe the sailcloth when rolled up. Consider rounding the plastic ends with a little sandpaper.

A;lan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Zip ties are an ingenious idea. They are cheap, strong , and much easier to deal with then the shower curtain rings.
Although I went with the marlin hitch that signal Charlie recommends myself, also relatively inexpensive, easy to remove and reusable.

Attachments

• 84E726CD-90CC-4EF9-BADA-007AC067EBB8.jpeg
    84E726CD-90CC-4EF9-BADA-007AC067EBB8.jpeg
    788.7 KB · Views: 66
  • E62176A4-B1B3-4588-B4B1-5F123EBBEC6B.jpeg
    E62176A4-B1B3-4588-B4B1-5F123EBBEC6B.jpeg
    671.8 KB · Views: 72
If the Zip Ties are not legal for racing, would there be an advantage when racing to using individual ties vs the marlin hitch idea?

But if I wanted to replace my sail rings with new ones... what is a good brand that won't pop apart in a good breeze?

I do not.
But I recall reading in another thread that there was an issue with the sail clips coming apart in a good breeze.

My 71 has its original clips. Only one of them ever pops loose from time to time. So I replaced it with some line. But I kept all the others on the sail.

Zip-ties for outhauls?
Sure I think you could. I wanted some type of rope so it's more adjustable.
Now that I think of it, zip-ties failed as my outhauls. :oops:

Tension and sun got to 'em.

Paracord is kind of fat for outhauls, but I have plenty of paracord! :cool:

Zip-ties for outhauls?
Now that I think of it, zip-ties failed as my outhauls. :oops:

Tension and sun got to 'em.

Paracord is kind of fat for outhauls, but I have plenty of paracord! :cool:
Yeah, the outhauls are under potentially more tension.

Back