Zhik Hiking "System"

Rob B

I probably should have asked this before I bought them, but has anyone used the Zhik boots and strap hiking system?

I have to get further outboard with my hiking and getting as locked into the stap as I can I think will help. Looks like this system offers the best "stick".

Any opinions?

I think if you're a boots wearing laser sailor, then the Zhik 'system' is the way to go. I have tried it and I liked it more than regular boots and a conventional hiking strap. But, i prefer not to wear boots altogether.

bye bye knee's!!!

What?

How would regualar boots that are rubbery on top go with the Zhik strap? It looks like they would stick about the same as the Zhik boots.

I think if you're a boots wearing laser sailor, then the Zhik 'system' is the way to go. I have tried it and I liked it more than regular boots and a conventional hiking strap. But, i prefer not to wear boots altogether.

What?

I like wearing boots. I'm thinking the Zhik will be a little more "low profile" and tighter fitting which will help keeping the mainsheet from getting stuck around the heels like it does now.

I like wearing boots. I'm thinking the Zhik will be a little more "low profile" and tighter fitting which will help keeping the mainsheet from getting stuck around the heels like it does now.

Absolutely correct

My biggest interest in the Zhik system is the hiking socks... I'm one of those guys who would rather not wear shoes while sailing and my initial thoughts would be that the hiking socks will also keep the tops of your feet from getting all cut up with "hiking strap burn."

Anyone use them and have thoughts?

I just got the stuff today. The "super light" hiking booties with the lacing up the sides fit like a glove and are uber comfortable, (on land at least). Looks like they stick to the Zhik strap pretty darn well too.

Has anyone seen the new Zhik "Power Pads" hiking pads that fit around your thigh? They look pretty interesting. I'm just wondering if they can actually stay up and not slide down past your knees.

Note: I have not seen the strap or the special boots or socks

However: I have no idea how either the special strap or special foot coverings described above could possibly be legal for Laser Racing.

Where in the rules does it say a sailor is allowed to use equipment of this sort?

Lacking an answer to that question, use of special "attach your feet to the strap" devices is illegal and considered to be cheating.

It really isn't special equipment its just the material used that creates friction so your feet don't slip in the strap.

Um:

17.a The hiking strap may be substituted with any type
of non-stretch material and it may be padded. ?

The phrase "locked in" does seem like a pretty extreme marketing-driven phrase for "the cloth on the strap and the rubber on the boots is non-skid."

Snake oil, anyone?

Note: I have not seen the strap or the special boots or socks

However: I have no idea how either the special strap or special foot coverings described above could possibly be legal for Laser Racing.

Where in the rules does it say a sailor is allowed to use equipment of this sort?

Lacking an answer to that question, use of special "attach your feet to the strap" devices is illegal and considered to be cheating.

Don't read into the marketing too much mate.

It's just a rubber layer on the underside of the hiking strap and a rubber topped boot. The friction between the two gives the feeling of being locked in.

There is no physical attachment

OK. I couldn't stand it. I bought a pair of the "Power Pads". I'll let ya'll know how they work when I try them.

I was envisioning clamp top boots and a strap that mates with the boots.

Special boots that adhere in a special way to a specially designed strap is, in my view, pushing the envelope and I believe the ILCA measurer should rule...

but I am too lazy to write the note and ask.

I was envisioning clamp top boots and a strap that mates with the boots.

Special boots that adhere in a special way to a specially designed strap is, in my view, pushing the envelope and I believe the ILCA measurer should rule...

but I am too lazy to write the note and ask.

I think you're still seeing the 'system' as something much more complicated than it really is....

The boots don't even 'adhere' to the strap, they simply have more friction from moving, the same friction that stops your feet moving when not wearing boots.

The product has been around for quite a while now and was being used by many sailors at the worlds here a few months ago, so i'm sure an ILCA measurer or two have seen the product already, it's not exactly a secret amongst the pro's

The way I see it... How much of a difference can the system really make? Most of the pressure from hiking goes into your abs, quads, back, and calves. Very rarely have I ever come home from sailing and been like "wow my feet are sore"... aside from when I went barefoot and cut up the tops of my feet.

I could be completely wrong, but I dont believe that I will see much difference having a "stickier" strap and boots will make. Perhaps I wont fall off the boat as much after a roll tack? My main interest is the hiking socks... as it is almost barefoot without missing the top few layers of skin off my feet..

I'm going to get the system... So i'll retract my statement if I'm completely wrong about it...

Hmmmm

It's not about making your feet less sore, in the same way that hiking pads make your quads less sore.

If you are hiking upwind in a chop and 'torquing' the boat through the waves. Being 'connected' to the boat certainly helps. You would have to hike with straight legs for the 'system' to work at its optimum anyway (like we all should be)

The straps on the Laser World Championship boats are issued with teh boats and different straps may not be used.

Unless the boots have some special grabbing function ( and indications are they do not) they would be legal.

Were I a top of the heap competitor, I would practice with stock straps as it would be a distraction to be learning about new and different equipment at a world championship.

Back