You know you're a Laser sailer when...

you know your a laser sailor when...

...you argue with 29er sailors about how fast it would be to make a fully battened spinnaker that sails by the lee

...You go into subway for lunch still wearing your sailing clothes and getting the floor all wet and what not

...You consistantly win debates with the 29er sailors on why lasers are better

When u always argue with ur dad, why ur laser is better then his 40ft steel hulled cruiser,
even when he asks "remember when we did that 300mile crossing in that massive storm, which would u be safer in"

144679 said:
When u always argue with ur dad, why ur laser is better then his 40ft steel hulled cruiser,

That's so true...my dad has a C&C 36 and i say laser sailing is way more fun. But he agrees that that doing laser sailing projects is fun... example: building a tiller or fixing a toilet... hmmm, thats a tough one. :p

OK, so this one isn't just for Lasers. (This joke works better if you say it, not write it.)

Three ropes go into a bar for a drink. The bartender says, "We don't serve your kind here."

They leave, but one of them is really thirsting. He ties himself up and rolls around in the dirt for a while.

He goes back inside and sits at the bar. The bartender says, "Weren't you just in here?"

The rope says, "'Fraid not."

You know you're a Laser sailor when........

You shake the presents under the tree, hoping one is a new Vang, even though there is snow outside!

Peace to all.

Al Russell 138888

You know you're a sailor when...

-you marry a girl/guy just to keep good crew.
* you open up your foil bag to find a bottle of rum.
* you open up your inspection port only to find a package of tuna still there from 2001...twas gross.
-When it's the 27th of the month and you've only 84 cents left.
* you go on vacation only to where good boating stores are.
* you're a pilot flying to New Zealand and when your suppost to be sleeping, you throw on your boat shoes and head for the America's Cup boats.
* you go to a regatta and you have no where to sleep, so you sleep on a bench and random people throw money at you.

those are just a few that I can think of...some of them actually happened(the ones with the *, and some of them i made up...

you know you're a laser sailor when you look at the nationals entry list and see over 280 boats entered

im only 14 but i agree with laser sailor173707. im probably going to be working during the summer to get a new laser not a car.

I agree to that...all my friends think that I'm joking when I say I'm going to save money for a new laser than a car. I just tell them that why do I need a car, when the three other members in my family have one...I'll just take one of their cars, its not like i'll leave them stranded somewhere, they know where i'll be...at the lake!

well...when your at the door dressed and ready, wet suit on, foils and sails over your shoulder, in the in the tale of a hurricane, and your mother calls and the first thing she says (before hello) is "you're not going sailing"

lasersailor173707 said:
when you decide that you would rather get a new boat than a car. my friends (the non-sailors) all think i'm crazy for this though.
i can agree, no way i'm buying a car, laser sail and new keel boat coming first (possibly the only things coming)

ascella_dylan said:
well...when your at the door dressed and ready, wet suit on, foils and sails over your shoulder, in the in the tale of a hurricane, and your mother calls and the first thing she says (before hello) is "you're not going sailing"

How could you be ready to go laser sailing in hurricane season....you live in CANADA!

true Colleen i do but on lake ontario we sometimes get the tale ends of them as they die out on there way north. I think we got 2 or 3 this year. there in no way as wild as the full thing (i'm crazy not stupid) but they still carry a lot of power

colleen chill, dylans got a point, just listen to other peole n what they have to say don't critasize them

You sail when no other boater dares to go out!

My husband, John, was in Florida yesterday, and wanted to take our powerboat out, but it was too windy. The other guys at the marina, avid fishermen, stayed in and worked on their boats. John looked out over Sarasota Bay and there were big swells and no boats whatsoever. Usually there's lots of traffic with powerboats and cruising sailboats. Then here come 3 Lasers around the point surfing the waves! They sailed right through the pass and into the Gulf of Mexico, and were they flying!

"When no other boater dares to go out"

My friend and I went sailing on a day it was blowing like hell. Wind and swells were so bad that the 84' Coast Guard Cutter wouldn't leave it's berth!

This also happened to be the day I tore my old practice sail and bent my LOWER mast section, but it was worth it!

You know your a laser sailor when your requirements for buying a car are based on laser/surfboard/bike carrying capacity.

Used 1991 BMW 318is, ball hitch for two boat laser trailer, roof rack for two bikes and two surfboards, enough trunk space for blades and all other boat/bike gear + two handles of whiskey!

Merrily said:
You sail when no other boater dares to go out!

My husband, John, was in Florida yesterday, and wanted to take our powerboat out, but it was too windy. The other guys at the marina, avid fishermen, stayed in and worked on their boats. John looked out over Sarasota Bay and there were big swells and no boats whatsoever. Usually there's lots of traffic with powerboats and cruising sailboats. Then here come 3 Lasers around the point surfing the waves! They sailed right through the pass and into the Gulf of Mexico, and were they flying!

I was almost out there that day but i didnt have my life jacket (dad picked me after school but didnt take the d**m thing), which realy sucked.

mustang__1 said:
I was almost out there that day but i didnt have my life jacket (dad picked me after school but didnt take the d**m thing), which realy sucked.

John was at New Pass by the Sarasota Sailing Squadron. Where is the Yacht Club?

Merrily said:
John was at New Pass by the Sarasota Sailing Squadron. Where is the Yacht Club?
That is where i sail out of though. I'm not realy sure where the sarastota yachtclub is since i don't drive but it is on john ringling bld, right after the bridge. The bird key yacht club is also in the vicinity but no idea where.

mustang__1 said:
That is where i sail out of though. I'm not realy sure where the sarastota yachtclub is since i don't drive but it is on john ringling bld, right after the bridge. The bird key yacht club is also in the vicinity but no idea where.

Oh, yeah, I've seen that yacht club from the bridge. It's got some really big sailboats that make me salivate until I think about how much upkeep must cost. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Merrily

Merrily said:
Oh, yeah, I've seen that yacht club from the bridge. It's got some really big sailboats that make me salivate until I think about how much upkeep must cost. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Merrily
No problem. I have to admit though that i think sailing my laser is more fun than crewing with my dad our j boat. Its just more fun to be on the water. Plus you don't have to yell, "what the hell are you doing" when you ask for the spinnaker halyard to be freed so you can bring it around the jib, when instead the jib just falls on you....

You know you're a Laser sailor when:

You death roll on your first sail in the boat and laugh as you go into the water. That actually happened to me the first time out ever (last weekend). Unbelievable feeling-cold water too!

Hello Mike,
I have also debated building a hiking bench (aka torture rack). One of these days I will do it. I have been laser sailing a year and a half... I've been going to every event just about in the state of Texas. I'm still sucking but I am mixing up with the fleet most of the time. My biggest recommendation is to get more time in the boat and work on keeping it flat. the one thing that you prolly not doing on the hiking bench that you'll do on the water is changing legs (front leg and back leg loading) rolling your upper body forwards and backwards as you take waves.
Upper body in and out as you hit gusts and lulls (out in gusts and in during the lulls). For me anyways it seems I am in constant movement trying to keep the boat flat and in good trim. So I wouldn't necessarily judge yourself by how much time you can spend out in what I call desperation hiking mode(tiptoes in the strap and back of the knees on the gunwales) to avoid a capasize. You'll be easing the main sheet when you get into situations like that.
Keep doing what your doing cause it can't do anything but help, but my two cents worth is time in the boat instead of on the hiking bench is way more valuable. But where Dist. 6 is in the Pacific Northwest but I can imagine that you'll not get any really good sailing weather for another couple of months yet.
Welcome to the wild world of Lasering!
Regards,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

Fishingmickey,

Actually this has been an unbelievable winter in the Seattle area. Very little rain and a lot of sunshine. Last weekend when I ventured out the first time it was sunny about 54 degrees and blowing about 10-15 mph. Not bad.

I call the sailing an demonstration in pure buffoonery, not having sailed a boat for longer than I care to remember. Darn things just don't turn like a sailboard! Anyway thanks for the encouragement. I noted that I was moving around on the hiking a lot to adjust to the gusts and wind shadows. I intend to get a lot of boat time in in the next few weeks.

Thanks again
Mike

You know you're a laser sailor when you can turn up at the Yacht Club half an hour before the warning signal and people say to you "aren't you racing today" then you reply "I certainly am racing".

So you can rig up your boat in 5 minutes then turn to look at the people who have spent the last hour rigging their own. Get changed in another 5 minutes and hit the water in time to get a great start.

Then it is the opposite after the race. You come in, de-rig in 5 minutes, get changed in another 5 minutes. People ask you "didn't you race today" you reply "I certainly did". Then you head up to the bar and stand with other Laser sailors watching people take an hour to de-rig.

You have Port & Starboard stickers on your snow-skis!
(Well, actually this goes for any type of sailor, but I had to say it.)

3335 said:
You have Port & Starboard stickers on your snow-skis!
(Well, actually this goes for any type of sailor, but I had to say it.)
I knew a guy who wore port and starboard socks. He had two pairs.

Merrily

Ooo-ooo-ooooo...! I've got some others! You know you're a (Laser) sailor when ...
~All of your E-mail addresses, SN's, ect. are sailing related
~Every imaginable object has a port / starboard side
~You wore Converse high top "Chucks" before they were stylish
~You favorite holiday is ___(enter the name of your fav. big regatta here)
~People can here you coming 'cause of the "squelching" noise of your shoes
~Tan lines, tan lines, tan lines...
~You have sat around counting / comparing bruises with your friends!
~You are reading this thread...

And, even more ideas...
~During school, you realize that your shoes are still full of sand / zebra mussells (ouch!)
~When you're wrapping gifts, you start to tie the ribbon in a bowline

Back