year of boats

1992 pearson boat works (hip hip horf**kingway) with a sail like chease cloth a (soon to be fixed) rotten core (many thanks to the previous owner who was too lazy to fix the traveler fairlead) and some deck delamination right were i sit(very comfy)

hull evaluation and repair potential question

I have a question on evaluation of an older boat. I am looking for a fun (not race competitive) boat to teach kids sailing and for play. The boat I am looking at currently appears to be late 70's / early 80's (??) in vintage. I cannot find a tag or molded number on the transom. The daggerboard and rudder are natural finished mahogony and the hull color appears to be a faded pumpkin (was later brush painted). There are some blisters on the deck and a variety of chips from the deck and hull; some of which have been patched with epoxy. The cam cleats for the main run parallel to the deck (in contrast to others I have seen). The spars appear good and the gooseneck is black square aluminum fittings with a bolt. There is a delamination of the surface (a big blister?) in the bottom corner of the cockpit but it appears solid. The sail is multi-colored and appears to be the best condition of all.

The hull has some cracking around the daggerboard opening and when tipped down, and then up, the cracks weeped water. The leaking area was at the leading edge of the daggerboard, The trailing edge area has a spider web-like cracking that did not appear to leak. Is this kind of cracking common and can it be sucessfully repaired ? Is it a reason to look elsewhere ?

Any ideas on the manufacturer of the boat and approximate age ? There is no trailer but a roof rack. Any thoughts on the condition, manufacturer, and asking price of 700 US ?

unfortunately only this summer has it started to take on water, about a half a litre per sail...wish I could figure out where it is coming from.[/QUOTE]

:D hip hip horay children its bubble test time :D i hope you have a vacum with a blower or a bike pump and lots of dish soap this is the best part of boat repair it actually make you cleaner!! the first places i'd check are the traveller fairleads (the previous owner of my boat left the starboard one unrepaired and now i have a rotten core :mad: ) and the grabrails in my expeariance if it the bottom that leaks it kind of obvious were the leak is
dylan
963 days till challenger vs alingy americas cup 2007

My Laser didn't start leaking until I changed my hiking strap. I guess i'll have to unscrew it and seal it up with silicone again.

Wooohaaa,
Just brought home my new Laser, 181157, now for a short time I've got three. Oldest is 150087, 93 kiwi worlds boat still in excellent shape and 178894 a 2004 Olympic trials boat and 181157, 2005, red stripe....
Love them Laser's
Fishingmickey
150087/178894/181157

My is #62619 from 1978. A very good old boat. It has a little tin canning in the hull but other than that it is dry and stiff.

I sail an 1981, #94741. I just started sailing Lasers, and I've never felt the boat was especially slow, just the crew. This morning, actually, someone with another, old(er?) Laser was saying the same thing. Whats especially cool about these old boats is you can get into it for pretty cheap, and have just as much fun as someone that payed 4x for a new boat.

i have two my oldest is 24995 and is in great condition no sponge, deck doesnt take water, and no scrapes on the bottom etc and a newer boat 172256 which is just too uber to explain :p

Hello laser afficianados,
I have three boats, a 1993 Kiwi worlds boat 150087, 2004 Olympic trials boat 178894 & my brand new baby 2005 181157....
Regards,
Fishingmickey
150087/178894/181157

TomW said:
#3009- beat that
Bummer! I thought I had the oldest laser around. But mine's 3335, so you've got me beat by only a few digits! The big question is whether you still race that boat? ( I still race mine, lol) People always do a double-take when they see my #! :p

I've got two boats. One is a early 70's boat I think 73 sail number 16000 something and a 2004 boat which is really sweet. I got a smokin deal on it last fall 181095. The old boat i pulled out of the ceiling of a horse stall in some ladies barn. this thing is solid as a rock. Should make a great frostbite boat.

I just sold my great laser 144679, getting my brand new one on friday 11th march :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

no idea what number it will be.

When I was serious I sailed a brand new boat; 166786 IIRC. She did just two regattas (nationals and states) with one title win before I smacked myself up and out of Lasering. Dunno where ole' HECS is now, last time I saw her some University sailors had her hull on the grass and my immaculate racing sail was flapping in the wind.....Oh, the pain. I don't think there was a huge speed advantage over the older boats but it was nice to know that everything was right.

Recently got 52225, built about '78, one of the older active boats here in Australia AFAIK. Fairly stiff, only small patches of delam, came with a 6 month old Radial sail that I still haven't used 'cause I don't want to wear it out. The boat has what I'm sure is the original multi-coloured sail and it's still not too bad.

Boat feels dog slow but I'm sure it's the fact that I'm out of practise.

got my new laser on friday, straight from PSE paid for by the insurance company :D

sailed it on sunday felt great to be back on the water again,

its a "Race Red" waterline colour hull, with radial rig

144679 said:
got my new laser on friday, straight from PSE paid for by the insurance company :D

sailed it on sunday felt great to be back on the water again,

its a "Race Red" waterline colour hull, with radial rig
Congratulations! I missed out. What happened to ye old boat, that the insurance company paid for a new? Did you decide on a name?

I found an online company to cut a decal name for my boat. It was a cool site because they showed you the name you chose in ALL of their fonts, as well as the color. Hope the quality is good when it arrives.

Merrily

Braecrest said:
my first laser was a '96, I've since aquired an '84, and a '99
Hey, Skip, your avatar makes it look like the front of your boat is exploding! Hope you have fair sailing in VA.

Merrily

Back