year of boats

I sail a 2004, just about six months old now, although my true hobby is restoring and sailing the older 1970's ones :).

I have a 79, it had only been sailed about 50 tiems and is in amazing conidition, water tight, deck had a few bubles that had been repaired...im amazed at the quality and affordibility, compared to buying a new boat. Specially for students.

Hi all,
LooserLu´s Laserhull, #46438, is from 1977 - a PSE-boat built in the UK. That boats (if handled correct) hold very long and are also expensive today (a week ago, "the older twin-sister" of Laser GER46438, Laser GER46425 was sold on ebay: 900 Euro/1100US-$ :)) , here in GER. No delaminations, stiff and fast (for their age), "top"-maststep but a bit more heavier than newer ones, because the oldies have a layer fibreglas more then the hulls from mid of ´80ies until to today.
Ciao
LooserLu

I have a 1976 boat which is in really good conditoion, but the hull flexes a lot on wavey conditions. I also have a new 2004 vanguard boat which i have not sailed yet.

Mine is a 1988 boat that has been in out of storage over the years. For the first 5 years it was sailed infrequently (~15 times), I bought the near new boat in 1994 and it was sailed weekly durring the summers 1994 to 2000. From mid 2000 to mid 2004 it was hanging from the rafters in a garage until I brought it out this year which then was sailed 3 times a week.

The boat looks new and stil has the original sail which will be replaced for 2005, unfortunately only this summer has it started to take on water, about a half a litre per sail...wish I could figure out where it is coming from.

Mines a 1991-1992 (144679)

i think its a limited edition because its got a black bow section, for 3/4 of hull then goes into gray sections about 4 imch wide and at the sten quarter it says "Baccarat"

its a great boat. i am really in love ( sad i know )

Jon steward, radial 144679
yeadon, uk

<MacKenzie Wasson >
if you tell me how to post pic i will take some and post them for all to see.
thanks for you comments it is a nice boat.

My boat is a 2003 and I'm in love too. Don't even think it's sad. On the photo thing, have you tried going to the photo gallery and playing with the file upload? Maybe that will do the trick.

Janet

cuase my boat isn't really competitive, i think i will respray it later in life, maybe like this 77fter, cept a bit better.
index.php

this boat is called Black Dragon, an R/P 77.

macwas16 said:
Unfortunately, I'm not very sure how to post pictures either. Can anyone else help us here?
Normally our dear Bradley. Where is he?

Well, in the meantime try do it this way:
Make a Reply. In the editor level scroll down there is a button for "Manage Attachments". Klick it and upload the pic´s. Make sure, the pic´are not to lage (under 600X400 pixels). the rest is explained there. With "create a conection" ( paste the pic´in the attachement-manager + right mousebutton +"create a conection") and paste into the reply-text-editor + review/submit reply you bring the pic to the Thread. I hope this works.
Ciao
LooserLu
Macwas16, did you get the text I posted you some weeks ago to your shipyard?
(Your email adress didn´t worked)

My boat is an 87 worlds boat. It's still very stiff, watertight and competetive. I bought a new sail and top section for it at the start of this year, if i got the turbo package for it i'm sure it'd be like a new boat.

I don't think it had been used very much before my ownership, as neither of the 2 prior owners had bothered to buy a trolley for it. I think it was a holiday boat.

I guess I win!

A 1973 PSL with the number of 8783. Dry hull after I replaced the auto-bailer. I'm not sure how stiff the hull is since I sail on a lake in windless Arizona. But, she is pretty competitive!

And looks really cool with wood blades!

I have a 1997 PSE. It's still stiff. But I'm looking for a newer one (2002). Because I want to sail radial and I still don't have the new vang, cunningham, etc. But there isn't really a good market here in Holland, so maybe I will buy one in the UK.

avoid 02'. it was a faulty year. infat, avoid vanguard. i own a 98' vanguard... which was the beginning of the decline in vanguard's laser's stiffness. but 02' for vanguard had to recall some because of faulty manufactoring. try to get somthing other than vanguard. but if you can't then get a later year such as 98' er 99'.

what is PSE? sunfish?

I sail a 1989 Canadian hull that, before me, was owned by a series of teen sailors who worked it pretty hard. But that's OK, I figure a decrepit old guy like me ought to have a decrepit old boat!

It's pretty stiff, but it weighed a lot more than it ought to. I took off the access ports, taped some window screen over them (to keep squirrels from nesting in the hull) and tied it upright, in a sunny and windy spot, standing on its transom with its bow in a tree (they stack them that way at the factory, so I figured it was OK. A month of that made a huge difference in weight. It's noticeably lighter, too, now that I've ground off about a dozen layers of paint, although I'm going to have to put something back on because the gelcoat is gettin' mighty thin in places.

I've promised myself a brand new boat as a reward if I can :

a) get my own weight to an ideal 175-180
b) get my condition to the point that I can hold
a straight leg flat out hike for 15 minutes.

iain_CAN165061 said:
avoid 02'. it was a faulty year. infat, avoid vanguard. i own a 98' vanguard... which was the beginning of the decline in vanguard's laser's stiffness. but 02' for vanguard had to recall some because of faulty manufactoring. try to get somthing other than vanguard. but if you can't then get a later year such as 98' er 99'.

what is PSE? sunfish?

That's not a problem for me, because I live in Europe, so almost all lasers are PSE (Performance Sailcraft Europe) Lasers, made in the UK. Not Vanguard.

i have a 2002 vanguard thats still completely dry.. and while i will admit some of my friends with 02 boats have wet boats, i don't think you can say to completely avoid 02 vanguards.

iain_CAN165061 said:

Ian, not sure where you are getting your information but its faulty. There was no recall in 2002 and in fact Vanguard has had few if any manufacturing problems since they took over from Sunfish Laser Inc around 1995-6. We have sold 20-30 Lasers per year for close to 15 years and the SLI boats of 1992-93 were the only problem boats with real soft decks and cockpits with lots of delams. Other then that there have been no issues with hulls or decks.

Well then I'm sorry. I was just spreading what an instructor of mine told me. He said there was a problem with the mast step. Again, i appologise for that if it is not true.

Back