Yachts & Yachting article (Dec. 04)

fsylvestre

I just bought the December edition of Yacht & Yachting (from the UK).

Great issue with lots of dinghy coverage and above all, a nice article about the Laser. It warms my thoughts on such cold days.

Is that magazine always as good? It is a great change from the US "big boat" magazines.

François Sylvestre

fsylvestre said:
I just bought the December edition of Yacht & Yachting (from the UK).

Great issue with lots of dinghy coverage and above all, a nice article about the Laser. It warms my thoughts on such cold days.

Is that magazine always as good? It is a great change from the US "big boat" magazines.

François Sylvestre

Yachts and Yachting is a very cool pub. Much better on the dingy side than any other. I wish there was a similar mag in North America. All the NA mags have drifted toward where the money is -- big boats. A shame, I think. I used to be a subscriber to Yachting World when it was One Design Dingy. Anybody remember those days? It was an AWESOME mag then, but then it became One Design and Offshore Yachtsmen, (not bad) and now Yachting World (just passable). By yea, Yachts and Yachting is very good.

fsylvestre said:
Is that magazine always as good?
François Sylvestre

Yes it is, the best magazine by far for dinghy sailors and racers. Their coverage of UK dinghy racing is superb, as well as all sorts of other racing worldwide. Has some very knowledgeable writers, and unlike most of the other magazines they have reviews of boats that ordinary mortals can afford to buy.
There's another magazine in the UK called 'Dinghy Sailing', I bought a couple of issues but it was nowhere near up to the editorial quality of Y&Y.

peterbye said:
Yes it is, the best magazine by far for dinghy sailors and racers. Their coverage of UK dinghy racing is superb, as well as all sorts of other racing worldwide. Has some very knowledgeable writers, and unlike most of the other magazines they have reviews of boats that ordinary mortals can afford to buy.
There's another magazine in the UK called 'Dinghy Sailing', I bought a couple of issues but it was nowhere near up to the editorial quality of Y&Y.

Well, it darn well better be superb. You yakked it up so much I went to the shopping part of the website and priced a one year subscription for the area outside of Europe. It's more than $16/ issue! In England it's $12/issue.

That's not to say it couldn't be worth it, but y'all could mention that detail.

Janet

Merrily said:
Well, it darn well better be superb. You yakked it up so much I went to the shopping part of the website and priced a one year subscription for the area outside of Europe. It's more than $16/ issue! In England it's $12/issue.
That's not to say it couldn't be worth it, but y'all could mention that detail.
Janet

Did you notice that there are 2 issues each month?
Makes the price seem a lot more resonable, and having a 2 week production cycle means it's a lot more up to date than the monthly mags.

Now I hate to say it but I always love reading about things I cant afford so for me my favorite is Seahorse. It's relly expensive but hey I can always dream right??? Either way it also always has some of the latestdinghy stuff to. By the way for all you Yanks over here look at Sail. It is a great magazine!!!!!!!

Finally "Did you notice that there are 2 issues each month?
Makes the price seem a lot more resonable, and having a 2 week production cycle means it's a lot more up to date than the monthly mags." I have to go 2 months without an update in my favorite fishing magazine, so even monthly is fine with me.

Back