WVO system running in my sprinter van :o)

mackconsult

Finally I got it working and it works seamlessly between veggie and diesel. I have a 1500 mile range now and looking forward to my first long range road trip for the laser.

Here I come southern california :D.

Re: WVO system running in my spritner van :eek:)

Quite an achievement. Well done to you!

Enjoy your self sufficiency, whilst us mere mortals keep burning ever diminishing fossil fuels.

wvo = waste vegetable oil

Essentially a vehicle running on cooking oil.

Finally I got it working and it works seamlessly between veggie and diesel. I have a 1500 mile range now and looking forward to my first long range road trip for the laser.

Here I come southern california :D.

Mack,
I have a diesel jeep and I'm interested in learning how to do this. What's the best online or other source for showing how to set this up?

There are several sources on the web that have information about doing this. It's not for the faint of heart I assure you. Firstly you have to find a source for WVO (this is the hardest for most folks), secondly you have to take the time & energy to collect and properly filter/dewater the oil before ever even consider using it in a diesel vehicle. Then there is the modification that needs to be done to your vechile so that you can properly heat the oil before allowing it to enter your diesel injection pump or injectors, and purging before shut down.

I used the following kit in my sprinter.

www.frybrid.com

You can register on that website and search about your vehicle, but don't know how well the jeeps run on veggie. In fact they even have problems from what I have heard on biodiesel.

When I took this initiative last winter to sell both of gas rigs and go with diesels I did my research a head of time to choose vehicles that had the "best chance" of success with veggie and bio. Even then I am taking a educated risk on the use of WVO and bio in my sprinter van and TDI passat wagon.

My website will be updated soon with details and pictures.

Mack,
I have a diesel jeep and I'm interested in learning how to do this. What's the best online or other source for showing how to set this up?

Thanks, Mack. I've heard that the setup is difficult.It's not something I plan to do right now. Maybe I'll work my way up to it. :)

Merrily:

I suggest you contact a company called GreaseCar, which is located in Massachusetts. Justin Craven is the founder and developer of a nice system and the firm sells and installs conversion kits for a variety of vehicles.

I am assuming that you own one of the few Jeep liberty SUVs sold in the US which were equipped with a diesel engine produced by a company called V.M. Motori in Cento Italy. I am not sure of the exact numbers, but it was pretty low. Do not be alarmed by that - there are a lot of them running around the EU. Nevertheless, the relatively few vehicles on this side of the Atlantic may make doing the conversion more of a challenge. Therefore, I suggest you talk to someone at GreaseCar, because if anyone knows if it is feasible, they will.

Hope this helps.

Really Interesting thread. If I had a diesel vehicle I would definitely be looking at ways to do this.

I am looking forward to the possibilities with electric cars to. If they can get 40 - 60 miles on one charge that would be incredible. I think most of us could drive all day, everyday, without needing gas. Only sustained trips would require the engine to turn on. I'm interested to see the public response to the Chevy Volt when it comes out...

I moved this to The DockHouse so more people will hopefully see it.

Back