worse top 2 thing you have done or forgot ?

what are the worsed top 2 things u have forgot to do or done when you were out sailing . i want to no so that i dont do them lol. :)

187490:)

Re: worsed top 2 thing you have done or forgot ?

When I was sailing at radial North Americans about 5 years ago I forgot to put my daggerboard in when launching my boat. As you can imagine I noticed it pretty quickly but obviously I had a serious problem; how to get upwind without a foil. Of course I had to jury rig one by sticking my hand in the water (which is a little difficult in 15kts of wind). Luckily I made it back to the dock and got out in time for the race.

Other worse thing I've done is lend my friend the boat. He returned it without a radial mast or screws in the dolly and tried to play it like they were never there (some friend he is). Over time I've been stealing from him more than enough to reimburse my loss.

Was not in a Laser, was a 29er, but we forgot to put in the Hull Plug. Took a while to fill up and we were about 2 miles from shore and everyone else was off and planing -

we weren't

Long slog home that day.

Many years ago I'd been crewing a Fireball with the same helm for several years. Once a year I took the boat to one club's Open Meeting with a friend helming (actually him home/old club and he liked to return there to win - which we normally did). Being really enthusiastic, one tack I leapd in from the wire, across the boat and out the other side thinking I'd clipped myself on - but I must have missed the harness hook and I literally threw myself out off the boat backwards. Fortunately the helm caught me and ended-up dragging me along beside the boat calmly asking me to get back on board a.s.a.p. (we were in the lead at the time and fortunately retained that position or I think he might have been a little "frustrated").

Ian

I once turned up to a race without my boat. I didn't even notice untill shortly after the start when I found I couldn't beat to windward without using a crawling motion with my arms. Boy did I look the fool!

I haven't doen all that much to be honest.
Managed to snap the mast once right outside the club when on my way out to a somewhat important race =p

I once managed to disslocate my shoulder and at the same time get the main snapped around my foot too, was quite bad. Specialy as I where heading right into a bunch of rocks. Was quite hard and painfull to relocate it wile trying to stear the boat and make it stay reasonably flat at the same time.
Couldn't get myself to sail my laser for like 6 months after that =/

I once turned up to a race without my boat. I didn't even notice untill shortly after the start when I found I couldn't beat to windward without using a crawling motion with my arms. Boy did I look the fool!

I just don't think this one can be beat! :p

'Over time I've been stealing from him more than enough to reimburse my loss.'

I like it HLC but why stop there?

Have you considered opening his inspection hatch once a fortnight and epoxy-ing a brick to the inside of the hull each time. As long as the weight gain is gradual he won't notice and you can be sure he will not be winning any more races.

Was not in a Laser, was a 29er, but we forgot to put in the Hull Plug. Took a while to fill up and we were about 2 miles from shore and everyone else was off and planing -

we weren't

Long slog home that day.

Happened to me once, some idiot figured he needed a plug and just took it from my boat even though I where there and getting ready to rigg the boat. I just couldn't get why the boat felt so incredibly weird =P

probably the one of thw worst thing i did was forgetting to tie the boat to the dock when i went ashore for some food. and the worst was not in a laser but a 420, it was sailing about 5 kilometers out to the mouth of my harbour where my rudder blade randomly snapped off and this was boefore the point i learned how to sail rudderless. "intersting experiance"

1. didn't pay attention to vang setting in heavy air and deathrolled 5 out of 7 races.
2. didn't go to the race (Actually, happened more than once) mentally prepared, and found myself making error after mental error.
3. forgot that the almost-new sail I bought had a different number on it than my sail I'd registered with and was up till 11 the night before in a garage full of acetone changing the numbers.

well forgeting blades sorda sucks, and the classic plug.

i was sailing up the river, and the rudder and tiller just fall off of a JY 14, tyhat was interesting.

1) Forgot to pin my tiller into the rudder stock, blasting downwind and the tiller falls out in my hand. I made a dive for the rudder stock and after a weak attempt to head up wind to lie to end up capsizing. Much to the amusment of everybody around.

2) Forgot to attach the elastic to the daggerboard and losing it through the hole during a capsize. righting a boat without the board is difficult.

Going around the Schilksee lighthouse (where Kiel's big pipe drains into the Baltic) back in '73 in a FD and the hiking strap broke. The second worst thing was to capsize as a result. They cleared up their act since.

Forgot to tie things down before hitting the road, more than twice. . .

1. Almost lost 2 boats double-stacked on a trailer when I made a right turn and they made a left. . . D'oh!

2. Almost lost my sail on the freeway from the bed of the pickup -- I thought it was weighted down well enough but it was halfway out before I could pull over. . .

3. Lost my rash guard from the back of the pick up in the left lane of the freeway coming home late at night from a regatta. My wife was following behind and alerted me on the cell phone. We took the next exit, doubled back and I overshot it by 100 yards or so! But my loyal wife managed to stop and rescue it for me without us dying in a fiery crash. God, I love that gal! If it wasn't for her I'd probably be living naked in a tree eating berries or something.

4. Just this weekend coming back from sailing I had my spars in the back of the pickup and apparently forgot to tie them down. I noticed as I was on the Bay bridge that they slid and were sticking out the side (good thing no motorcycles were trying to pass. . .). I pulled over as soon as I got off the bridge, tied them up and then looked back -- somebody lost an entire U-haul trailer (one of the big ones) on the bridge about a quarter mile back and I just missed the mayhem. And it made my forgetfulness seem that much less stupid in comparison!

I once somehow left my tiller and brand new expensive Ronstan tiller extension of my laser 2 on the beach after sailing and went home. I didn't even notice until the next weekend when I was getting the boat ready and I had no tiller etc. I wasn't happy and neither was my dad as he had to make me a new tiller.

We were messing around with a new adjustable bridle system on the 125 before a race once, and during the course of this we partially untied the hiking straps. We forgot to tie them up again. During the race I went to hike out and couldn't figure out why my feet were almost level with my face.

3. Lost my rash guard from the back of the pick up in the left lane of the freeway coming home late at night from a regatta. My wife was following behind and alerted me on the cell phone. We took the next exit, doubled back and I overshot it by 100 yards or so! But my loyal wife managed to stop and rescue it for me without us dying in a fiery crash. God, I love that gal! If it wasn't for her I'd probably be living naked in a tree eating berries or something.
:D

one of the bonus features of women is that when you have to go do something crazy, if you take woman along, it's gauranteed that they'll take crazy one notch higher and not even blink an eye.

:D

one of the bonus features of women is that when you have to go do something crazy, if you take woman along, it's gauranteed that they'll take crazy one notch higher and not even blink an eye.

remember it helps if they can drive in the first place lol

which reminds me... :D

when I had first bought a laser, my Mrs. wanted to take some photos so she came out on her sit on top kayak.

it was a reasonably windy day, and I came in fast and close for what I thought would be a cool (but vain) action shot that people would say, wow, how did you get so close without being in the water?

Well one thing lead to another and I ended up running her over. :eek:

She wasn't very happy about that. :rolleyes:

Several years ago when I borrowed a Laser for the first time racing one I forgot to put the drainplug in and went out to race course. Slogged in after the first beat of the first race.

To make matters worse, I came and pulled the board up in the trunk partway and jumped onto the slipway to find the dolly. I then proceeded to put a crack in the trailing edge of the board when I tried to pull the boat out.

my friend was once sailing someone elses laser during a sailing course. he came back in about 3 hours later wondering why his boat was so heav. i then asked him where his back bung was. then he realised whot he had done. so we were there for 1hr letting the boat drain

I think this thread should be split in half: for the people that have forgot their drain plugs, and those that haven't lol

haha noooooooooooo not this year!

2012 if I'm lucky, just had surgery last thursday, and I've done 1 Laser regatta in 07, its been a rough year....

anybody know what the weather is like in Chad? or if they have any lakes? lol

#1 when i was rigging i forgot to put my battens in the sail and didn't realize it until i was well out on the water
#2 Actually thats it.

Crazy Sailor

Back