World's - Wild Card List

Question.....are all class memebers put into the lottery for the wild card list? When and where is the lottery drawn? I'm curious, because it seems like an easy pass for quite a few members. Not that I wouldnt take the opportunity, but I would prefer to qualify like everyone else has to. Also, isn't someone like Don Bergman allowed in without qualifying?

Hey Tim, the short answer is no, You must request in writing to be placed on the Wild Card list and then when a spot is to be filled a name will be selected at random from all those names entered. What has been happening over the past few years is that not enough of the qualifiers are excepting and the list of wild cards is not long enough so eventually the entries are being opened up to any member in good standing.

As far as pre qualifying, any one who has won the Worlds before is qualified for life. Other than that all of the remaining spots are on a qualifying basis.

http://www.sunfishclass.org/admin/worldsqualifying.html

I agree with you that I personally would prefer to qualify outright rather than just sign up, but if you get the chance to attend a Worlds don't pass it up. My first Worlds was in St Marten in 2003, Ironically I had qualified through the system and then the registration was opened up to the entire class anyway, at first I thought it would cheapen the experience but it did not.

NE Sunfish said:
Hey Tim, the short answer is no, You must request in writing to be placed on the Wild Card list and then when a spot is to be filled a name will be selected at random from all those names entered. What has been happening over the past few years is that not enough of the qualifiers are excepting and the list of wild cards is not long enough so eventually the entries are being opened up to any member in good standing.

As far as pre qualifying, any one who has won the Worlds before is qualified for life. Other than that all of the remaining spots are on a qualifying basis.

http://www.sunfishclass.org/admin/worldsqualifying.html

I agree with you that I personally would prefer to qualify outright rather than just sign up, but if you get the chance to attend a Worlds don't pass it up. My first Worlds was in St Marten in 2003, Ironically I had qualified through the system and then the registration was opened up to the entire class anyway, at first I thought it would cheapen the experience but it did not.

Now that the decision has been made to have the 2006 Worlds in Charleston SC, many of the US sailors who have qualified may actually enter. Therefore, entry as a wild-card is by no means certain, IMHO. This is quite different from St Maarten (2003) and Martinique (2005); locations that made it pretty expensive to participate. However, the Worlds is extraordinarily fun/cool, even if one does sail way back in the fleet, like me.... Therefore, go for it; let the class office know that you want to be on the wild card list and see what happens; it really is not a commitment of any sort!

In addition, all ISCA Advisory and World Council members and committee chairpersons qualify for the World Championship: All NSCA representatives to the Advisory and World Councils including the current and immediate past ISCA president, the vice president, secretary, treasurer, the chief measurer, membership committee chairperson and the advisory council chairperson.

I just wanted to point out that the link for the world's qualifying that john shared may be outdated (from 2004 i believe). I provided a copy of the criteria for 2006 world's qualification (based on the 2005/2006 UNITED STATES SUNFISH CLASS NOTICE) that was provided along with last year's windward leg issue that came out around this time of the year. The link for the html version is http://www.sunfishclass.org/newyork/sunfish-worlds-qualification.php . I also scanned the windward leg notice to a pdf file here http://www.sunfishclass.org/newyork/2005-regatta-schedule.pdf , if you look on page 2, should be the updated criteria.

Back