Worlds Sails

MichFish

Morning everyone,

It's my understanding that the colored race sails used during the World Championships are sold after the event. Anyone know how they can be purchased? Are new event sails available after the event (extras?), or just the used sails that sailed the event?

Morning everyone,

It's my understanding that the colored race sails used during the World Championships are sold after the event. Anyone know how they can be purchased? Are new event sails available after the event (extras?), or just the used sails that sailed the event?

After the Worlds, the (charter) boats with their sails are sold. To get just a sail, you can contact a dealer or (what used to be) Vanguard to see if there are any leftovers. I doubt it, but you can certainly try; Worlds boats and sails appear to be in high demand.

There are usually a few more sails made than boats, for "breakdowns." Some people purchase the boats and want white sails so they don't stick out in the fleet and buy them that way. Others have the historical emotional attachment to colored sails and want them; still others feel that the colored sails are better than the white ones and want them for that reason. Then there's the argument that the colored material stretches in an uneven manner which is why the race sails are primarily made of white cloth. For the World Championship the colored sails have been considered fair since everyone has the same thing, considered desirable for pretty pictures, and considered eye catching for event promotion. Any dealer can help you acquire a World Championship sail. My experience is they are usually still available 3-5 months after a Championship.

Back