World-class sailing locations...

stollie

Name the places you've sailed, the ones on your list, etc.

On my list: Narragansett Bay, Buzzards Bay.

Bonaire

Reactions: tag
I *do* agree with Alan - Crystal Lake is amazing! Haven’t tried Glen Lake yet.

But if I was to travel to somewhere, it’d be Curaçao... or Bonaire as Wavedancer mentioned.

1B124935-044A-4B8F-A02B-835926200D11.jpeg

I've got relatives in Curaçao but I've never actually sailed there. I think they sail near Spanish Waters on the south side of the island. I've been out in the swells on a Boston whaler going from Jan Thiel to Klein Curaçao which was pretty amazing. You'd go into a trough and then back to the crest of the wave with flying fish and dolphins tagging along to keep you company.

I've got relatives in Curaçao but I've never actually sailed there. I think they sail near Spanish Waters on the south side of the island. I've been out in the swells on a Boston whaler going from Jan Thiel to Klein Curaçao which was pretty amazing. You'd go into a trough and then back to the crest of the wave with flying fish and dolphins tagging along to keep you company.
Yes, most of the Sunfish activities are on the Spanish Water, or out in the Caribbean Sea.
More in general, I believe that the really nice image shown above was taken during an 'off' day at the 2011 Worlds. The group sailed from the regatta site (Lions Dive Beach Resort) to the center of Willemstad (capital) and back.

Im hoping to sail around Shelter Island. No, not in the famous race, but just spend the day sailing around on my own. I’ve also fantasized about sailing around Long Island. Not around the end of Montauk point, but I’d start on the north shore and go around Orient point into Gardiners bay and follow the peconic River on the north side of Shelter island. Head south through Peconic bay down through Shinnecock canal and take the south bays back east towards Patchogue. Definitely not a single day trip and most likely not on the sunfish. Although it would be quit the adventure on a fish.

Read This Book is Drunk about a guy who sailed form Miami, FL to Boston, MA in a Sunfish. He claims to have been stoned and/or drunk most of the time and refused to have a PFD with him. It's quite the yarn. You can buy it on Amazon.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Im hoping to sail around Shelter Island. No, not in the famous race, but just spend the day sailing around on my own. I’ve also fantasized about sailing around Long Island. Not around the end of Montauk point, but I’d start on the north shore and go around Orient point into Gardiners bay and follow the peconic River on the north side of Shelter island. Head south through Peconic bay down through Shinnecock canal and take the south bays back east towards Patchogue. Definitely not a single day trip and most likely not on the sunfish. Although it would be quit the adventure on a fish.

You definitely have some great sailing grounds your way, gz. Sounds to me like you might need a Cape Dory Typhoon or an Alberg 22, or a Haven 12 1/2.

My wife and I spent some time a few years back out at Orient. That was before I got interested in sailing.

I'm hoping that in the not distant future I can spend a week on Narragansett Bay in a Haven, Herreshoff 12, or Fish Class. I'd move up there for the sailing in a NY minute if my wife would agree to it.

I did happen to pick up a O’day widgeon today, it’s the next step in my journey.
Figure I’ll learn to sail this little sloop and then work my way up to something I can overnight on. Maybe even go into the big water...eventually.

Attachments

• 21ACFB54-49CE-48DA-8A26-70A832C4B714.jpeg
    21ACFB54-49CE-48DA-8A26-70A832C4B714.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
My bucket Sailing list is not really all that ambitious;
- Quincy Bay, MA. I was born in Quincy, and went to college there. As a poor under-grad I used to look out at the islands and dream of visiting them. Now I can. That trip is probably a year away.
- Assateague, MD, and the Virginia Barrier Islands. The islands along the Eastern Shore of VA are owned by The Nature Conservancy, and can only be reached by boat. They are one of the few places on the East Coast where you can enjoy a beach in its natural state, usually all by yourself. It’s also one of the few places where you can get stuck on a mud flat on a falling tide 2 miles from shore! Weather permitting I will be camp cruising there in October.
-The Florida Keys. We went canoeing there in 1984, and I promised myself that I would go back for an extended sail/camp/snorkeling trip. That’s probably going to have to wait until my wife retires. If I went on that trip without her I would either find myself single or planted out back under the garden. She’s Italian, so it could go either way

Seaotter, I sailed a Hobie 17 from Assateague Island! I hand rolled the trailer up the boardwalk, pulled the boat onto the sand, dragged it to the shore, carried the mast, sail, rudders, wings, etc down the beach and set it up. Sailed for a while (Man! Breakers are hard to punch through!). Then I had to get it back up to the trailer!!
I solicited 5 guys surfing, offering liquor for their troubles. The 6 of us hoisted the 320# boat up on our shoulders (mast still up!), and carried it up the beach to set it on the trailer...
The party that night was legendary. Other campers on the beach no doubt still talk about us, not in a happy way...

Seaotter, I sailed a Hobie 17 from Assateague Island! I hand rolled the trailer up the boardwalk, pulled the boat onto the sand, dragged it to the shore, carried the mast, sail, rudders, wings, etc down the beach and set it up. Sailed for a while (Man! Breakers are hard to punch through!). Then I had to get it back up to the trailer!!
I solicited 5 guys surfing, offering liquor for their troubles. The 6 of us hoisted the 320# boat up on our shoulders (mast still up!), and carried it up the beach to set it on the trailer...
The party that night was legendary. Other campers on the beach no doubt still talk about us, not in a happy way...

lol, that’s pretty impressive! It can be quite a haul across the beach!
Getting thru the surf at Assateague can be a quite a challenge, as it breaks right on the beach. I was there a couple of weeks ago, and watched a guy try to take an inflatable kayak out thru the surf. He got “laundered” four or five times before he finally made it out.

Back