World’s ugliest Sunfish sail?

beldar boathead

Married to Primat Boathead
This sail sold on eBay earlier this month. I vaguely remember when this color was available around 1990 or so. If you zoom in you can see the class approved sticker. Sunfish is written in a white script towards the top of the sail.

Attachments

• 3672D27D-DDDD-4D65-9272-268283B699CA.jpeg
    3672D27D-DDDD-4D65-9272-268283B699CA.jpeg
    572.2 KB · Views: 91
This sail sold on eBay earlier this month. I vaguely remember when this color was available around 1990 or so. If you zoom in you can see the class approved sticker. Sunfish is written in a white script towards the top of the sail.
Enlarge the image, and you'll agree with Beldar! :eek:

sure that’s an ugly sail. but at least it’s not an ad for Kool cigarettes.

Let's not get all-snarky about this. ;)

Oh, I'm not saying that I'd love that particular sail in the shape it's in, but I really wouldn't mind sailing with a brand new version of it. It would be a head turner for sure.

Sorta like when I applied a new paint job to my truck—using a brush?

Everyone would turn their heads—but in the other direction. :p

Nathanael G. Herreshoff, famous naval designer was asked what color to paint a yacht and was reputed to have said, "The only colors to paint a yacht are black or white and only a fool would paint one black." By extension, sails should be white. Yes, this sail is "butt ugly" or by contraction, "bugly" I am not too opposed to Sunfish sails with multi-color panels, but I draw the line on pop art nautical propulsion
devices like this. Then again I turned 75 yesterday and maybe my opinions are dated.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

and what are we thinking about when it comes to spinnakers, Amer Cup boats, not to mention the current fad of high tech race boats?

Attachments

• ap_17324777945519-87bcbf25b43668ea17420e0154b55cf9cb9a057a-s800-c85.jpg
    ap_17324777945519-87bcbf25b43668ea17420e0154b55cf9cb9a057a-s800-c85.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 47
  • Sydney-SailGP-1.jpg
    Sydney-SailGP-1.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 53
I am not too opposed to Sunfish sails with multi-color panels, but I draw the line on pop art nautical propulsion
devices like this. Then again I turned 75 yesterday and maybe my opinions are dated.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions!

Besides, I could only see myself rockin this sail in non-serious sailing situations anyway, like sailing around for fun. Never in a race or any other type of event (unless I knew I was going to win, of course ;)).

Nathanael G. Herreshoff, famous naval designer was asked what color to paint a yacht and was reputed to have said, "The only colors to paint a yacht are black or white and only a fool would paint one black." By extension, sails should be white. Yes, this sail is "butt ugly" or by contraction, "bugly" I am not too opposed to Sunfish sails with multi-color panels, but I draw the line on pop art nautical propulsion devices like this. Then again I turned 75 yesterday and maybe my opinions are dated. Alan Glos Cazenovia, NY

75? :eek: Don't have a cane? :oops:

Then it's OK (now) to say "Get off my lawn", but be sure to wave a Sunfish tiller overhead. ;)

sure that’s an ugly sail. but at least it’s not an ad for Kool cigarettes. View attachment 32005

Damn, that is one fugly sail, but as Tag says, at least it's not an ad for Kool cigarettes, LOL. "Never a rough puff"---BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Somehow that reminds me of a billboard I once saw up near Bend, Oregon (Smith Rocks), the billboard displayed nasty pics of rotten diseased black lungs straight out of an emphysema ward, and the caption said, "SMOKING IS GLAMOROUS!!!" :confused:

I thought that billboard was hilarious. Now that I examine the Kool boat again, I'm thinking that if ya lost the Kool logo and just kept the green & white stripes, the sail would STILL look better than BB's number, LOL. Jeez, Tag, where didja find an ad like that, is it from a current magazine? Looks like something out of the '70s or '80s, and whoever hoisted that lateen rig should be taken out and shot, LOL. :rolleyes:

Back