wooden tiller

minifish

I've got a wooden tiller and then the metal extension. I believe the wooden tiller to be toast where the extension attaches. It's pretty thin and dry on the sides where the extension mounts and chunks have started to break off of it.
So I think it'd be best to just get a piece of wood, shape it, drill it, finish it, and then go sailing.
What type of wood you reckon it is or that I should replace it with that isn't too expensive? I don't expect it to be too bad. It's basically a stick. :D

I've got a wooden tiller and then the metal extension. I believe the wooden tiller to be toast where the extension attaches. It's pretty thin and dry on the sides where the extension mounts and chunks have started to break off of it.
So I think it'd be best to just get a piece of wood, shape it, drill it, finish it, and then go sailing.
What type of wood you reckon it is or that I should replace it with that isn't too expensive? I don't expect it to be too bad. It's basically a stick. :D

Mine is the original and its some kind of oak. You can get oak at Home Depot.

You might be right. Around here ash is available only at a couple of specialty wood stores. I would think oak would serve the purpose and look right, provided the grain ran straight and it was protected with a good finish.

Ash is available at all Home Depots, etc. -- in the form of shovel and post hole digger handles! I bought a post hole digger handle last year, ripped it veritically on either side to make to the 3/4" or so width, then sanded and varnished that baby to make a great-looking tiller. Funny thing is, you'd never know what it was to begin with! All you need is a table saw and a little patience. Total cost was around $8 or so.

Back