Wooden Sunfish Free To a Good Home - Schenectady NY

signal charlie

Staff member
We were contacted by a gent through our facebook page, he is looking for a good home for his mid 1950s Alcort Sunfish. Max got her hull seaworthy and now he'd like to find her a new Skipper. She looks to have all the bits, especially the sweet curved mahogany coaming. Nice Ratsey and Lapthorne 5 panel sail. Aluminum spars. Send us a message if interested. Located Schenectady N.Y.

Hooper Sunfish Hull.jpg

Hooper Sunfish sailing.png

Hooper Sunfish Ratsey Lapthorne.jpg

Hooper Sunfish side.jpg

Hooper Sunfish stern.jpg

Hooper Sunfishstern bottom.jpg

Wow... that's a perfect project boat for someone who has time on his or her hands. If I were any closer I'd bag it, LOL. Weird bit o' trivia: my pop the submarine commander was born in that burg, go figure. I have a hard time spelling it, I have to look it up to make sure I'm spelling it right... :confused:

Just spit balling on the 2 floor boards, but it appears the cockpit is a bit longer then I’ve seen in other wooden fish(zip).
My guess is it was modified or built that way, notice the center bracing in the cockpit? That seems to be where rear bulkhead of the cockpit would’ve been.
Also notice the coaming does not extend to the rear of the cockpit.

If only I had more time seems like a worth while project.

Last edited:
So, what happened? Did someone bag the boat? The suspense is killing me... LOL. ;)

If I weren't 2412 miles away (according to Google Maps), I would've already bagged this boat... fix her up & haul her out to Dago to go sailing, leave her with a relative or friend for storage purposes. :cool:

I'm surprised that nobody has stepped up to claim her, she'd be absolutely beautiful when refurbished... :rolleyes:

So, what happened? Did someone bag the boat? The suspense is killing me... LOL. ;)

If I weren't 2412 miles away (according to Google Maps), I would've already bagged this boat... fix her up & haul her out to Dago to go sailing, leave her with a relative or friend for storage purposes. :cool:

I'm surprised that nobody has stepped up to claim her, she'd be absolutely beautiful when refurbished... :rolleyes:

Next in line for my garage, looks like an easy restore for this one.

Back