Wooden Spars

B-L Bandit

Leeward Bound and Down
Thread starter #1
Price $
State
MASSACHUSETTS
Acquired some wooden spars and old sail for a sunfish. Look to be in good shape. Is there any market for these? Are people looking for them for their wooden sailfish/sunfish? If anyone is interested send me a message.

B-L Bandit

Leeward Bound and Down
Thread starter #3
Actually unrolled sail today and spars. Sail is a mini-fish sail that is in good shape, AMF-Alcort on tag. 70’s/80’s?

And the spars are in good shape but I think are for a regular fish. There is a leather gooseneck on them, has anyone seen that before? I think I might list the minifish sail separately as whoever wants that would not want the wooden spars.

Attachments

"Class Legal" Minifish sails in good shape with a crisp double fish logo are rare. Ask $150 for it. It will also fit a Sailfish (65 sq. ft.). The wood booms look to be original standard Sailfish spars. Also rare. Never seen a leather gooseneck. It would work but unlike the bronze goosenecks, can't be adjusted fore and aft.

Signal Charlie: What is your take on these wood spars? The hardware looks to be original 1950s era Sailfishl

Alan Glos

B-L Bandit

Leeward Bound and Down
Thread starter #5
Thanks Alan, I figured the minifish sail would be worth something and tough to find in good shape. Hopefully can find someone who needs it

The spars must have come off a 1950’s sailfish and at some point the sail was replaced with a minifish sail because that was all that was availble at the time in the same size.

signal charlie

Staff member
The Minifish came out around 1972. The Standard Sailfish went away early 60s, so my guess is someone needed a sail for a Standard Sailfish and the Minifish sail is the same size.

The wood spars would fit a Standard Sailfish, the original 11' 7" model. They would have to be longer to accommodate a 75 square foot Sunfish sail. The Minifish sail and Standard Sailfish sail are the same size at 65 square feet.

There is a leather gooseneck on the first production Sunfish that is in the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum, it came out around 1953. Our 1953 pre-production Sunfish Zip's boom has a hole drilled in it where the leather gooseneck (yoke) would have been. Someone upgraded the boom to a bronze gooseneck at a later time.

Sunfish One.jpg

Sunfish One mast.jpg

Zip boom hole leather yoke.jpg

Where are the spars located and do you have plans for them?

Cheers
Kent and Skipper

signal charlie

Staff member
There's a market here, we'd just have to figure out how to get them. Anyone heading down to Pensacola for a Gulf Coast warm up? Nice sailing weather, here's conditions Feb 7 :)

IMG_6813.JPG

B-L Bandit

Leeward Bound and Down
Thread starter #10
Hard to see in that picture, but that might be a leather strap with the lines over it. Hard to tell, I wonder when they switched to the bronze gooseneck.
If you want the spars I’ll hold onto them for you and we can wait for an opportunity to get them down there arises.

signal charlie

Staff member
Judging by the dates I guess that the bronze gooseneck came along about the same time as the bronze rudder releasing mechanism, patented in 1953.

We'd like the spars, and figure out some options. If someone heads down anywhere in Georgia or Florida holler, or maybe it's time for a road trip :). (Edit: But if the meantime a sparless boat up there needs them, get them together!)

Cheers
Kent

Last edited:
Great photo!

What I've found is to sit on the windward gunwhale up next to the 'hand' rail. You can then put a bare foot (or at least your toes) under the opposing rail (or handle of the coaming for a Super Sailfish Delux). It's not the most comfortable (because your butt is right on the edge) but makes it easier to keep the boat flat.

signal charlie

Staff member
Hi BB

As far as I know, the bow handle with the tab is exclusive to the wooden boats. Our 1953 factory Sunfish has the handle, and the Super Sailfish has it. Since we had the Super Sailfish apart and did not see kit marking inside on the frames, we are assuming it was a factory boat as well. We are not sure if our Standard Sailfish was factory or kit, but it also has the wrap bow handle.

Cheers
Kent

Last edited:
Hi BB

As far as I know, the bow handle with the tab is exclusive to the wooden boats. Our 1953 factory Sunfish has the handle, and the Super Sailfish has it. Since we had the Super Sailfish apart and did not see kit marking inside on the frames, we are assuming it was a factory boat as well. We are not sure if our Standard Sailfish was factory or kit, but it also has the wrap bow handle.
Thanks, Signal Charlie. You're right, I've never seen the tabbed bow handle on a fiberglass boat. It's also a much better quality handle- no pitting at all after all these years on any of the three 'woodies' I've owned. They just don't make 'em like they used to!