Wooden sailfish/sunfish nails and screws

Mama H Chicago

Mother of sailboats
I’ve got to get my order in to Jamestown Suppliers right away, but also wanted to confirm with folks here…

The Sailfish kit original instructions don’t say what length bronze ring shank nails, but I’ve measured what I’m pulling out and it looks like they are 7/8”. I’m ordering
Silicon Bronze Threaded Annular Ring Nails
#14 x 7/8 inch - 680/lb

Instructions show 1 1/4 bronze screws and 1 1/2 bronze screws, on my sides I don’t really need to replace them, but the ones that are there are flathead slotted, but I don’t know what “#” to order? @signalcharlie can you point me in the right direction? These things are CRAZY expensive. I know I don’t need 100 of them, so I might try to source them elsewhere, but just don’t know the gauge. #6? #8? Something else?

I’ve got to get my order in to Jamestown Suppliers right away, but also wanted to confirm with folks here…

The Sailfish kit original instructions don’t say what length bronze ring shank nails, but I’ve measured what I’m pulling out and it looks like they are 7/8”. I’m ordering
Silicon Bronze Threaded Annular Ring Nails
#14 x 7/8 inch - 680/lb

Instructions show 1 1/4 bronze screws and 1 1/2 bronze screws, on my sides I don’t really need to replace them, but the ones that are there are flathead slotted, but I don’t know what “#” to order? @signalcharlie can you point me in the right direction? These things are CRAZY expensive. I know I don’t need 100 of them, so I might try to source them elsewhere, but just don’t know the gauge. #6? #8? Something else?
Replying to myself here…. I looked at Fair Wind Fasteners and love that I can buy by the “each”! Bought my ring shank nails there, and some screw lube. Once I figure out what screw gauge I need I’ll also pick up a tapered pilot bit :)

Nail size is good. Where do you need the screws at? You can't go wrong by ordering too big, just get the right size pilot/countersink. We like the Fuller bit kit that WoodenBoat sells, that takes care of everything.

And yes Fair Winds is the way we go now.

Awesome. Thanks. I think there were a few screws on the deck near the scarf joint? I’m planning to do a 1 inch lap joint instead, and thought maybe screws there, but now I’m wondering what would make that better than nails….

Thanks for the recommendation on the bit kit. I’ll order that too!

Post a photo when you can. There are no screws or nails in the scarf/lap joint. For the keel strip we used #8 1/2 inch silicon bronze Frearson head. We've had good luck with Frearson head, make sure to order a few Frearson bits if you go that Frearson route. Or pick your favorite, square drive, standard, etc...

Are you making the small keel positioning template and nailing template or using a chunk of the old keel?

And now is the time to check that there are drainage pathways inside the hull (limber holes) so water can run to a low point near the drain plugs. The frames are not glued to the deck or hull, only to the side planks and keel/deck longerons. We could slide a business card between the frame and deck panel. At a minimum there should be little notches cut on the outer corners of the frames that act as limber holes.

I'm sure you've seen the notes on our wooden Super Sailfish restoration, but for those who haven't here's the link to our Small Boat Restoration blog: Super Sailfish Tracker

Audrey Tracker.jpeg

Amazing. Thank you for showing the template trick!! Question for you about the silicon bronze screws I discovered on the hull…. They are approximately midship, on the outermost edges only. I highly doubt they were factory Kit recommended, as there are 14 on one side and 7 on the other. It looks like they were epoxied over too? Is this something I should recreate? Or just plug them with Thicxo? Any recommendations great appreciated!
IMG_8605.jpeg
IMG_8606.jpeg
image.jpg

Back