wood for rudder?

JayBee

My old style rudder is developing a crack and since a new one with adapter costs more than my boat is worth I am considering trying to build a new one. Can someone tell me what kind(s) of wood would be best for that? Is this something commonly done? If not, why? I am not an experienced woodworker, but it does not appear to be very complicated since I have the old one to use as a model.
Your feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My old style rudder is developing a crack and since a new one with adapter costs more than my boat is worth I am considering trying to build a new one. Can someone tell me what kind(s) of wood would be best for that? Is this something commonly done? If not, why? I am not an experienced woodworker, but it does not appear to be very complicated since I have the old one to use as a model.
Your feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Your original rudder and daggerboard are made out of Philippine Mahogany for it's straight grain and resistance to rot. The tiller is Ash for strength, stained to match the Mahogany for a consistent appearance.

This list of resources gives good insight into other wood types commonly used on boats with the whys and wherefores of each.

I'm providing this because (1) suitable boat building wood is usually not found at a big box home center and (2) not every area of the country has all wood types readily available or at a price within reason. The typical source for quality wood is a specialty lumber supplier catering to cabinet makers..., and boat builders, like those who make strip canoes.

You may note that the term "Philippine Mahogany" is more a grade of several related woods not actually true Mahogany and not necessarily from the Philippines. However, the wood's qualities in this category are the important factor.

Select a suitable wood and you should have no trouble being successful making a replacement rudder.

Back