Wood Boards vs. carbon

O0laserO0

Im am looking into buying a laser and I am wondering, can I still race competively with wood boards or should I try and upgrade a older boat with carbon fiber boards?
Thanks in advance for you info on this subject.

New boards are not carbon. They are some sort of foam covered w/epoxy construction. If you are buying a boat that is old enough that it came with wood blades chances are high it will not be competitive in anything above club level. If you are asking to use wood blades with a newer model hull then class rules do not allow that. Hope this helps some.

Oh ok, so what you are saying is that if I want to race above club level than I should have a newer boat that has the newer blades. I think that I will look for a newer boat that has the newer form of blades. Thanks for you help.

Yes. The top guys at my club buy a new boat every year. I sail a 98' model and manage to hang with them. Even w/ a 98 hull I have one of the oldest hulls in our 20+ boat fleet. If I had to make a recommendation based on year alone I would tell you to look for something 96' or newer. That is when the current manufacturer, (in the US) started making them and they have had a history of being more consistant. You'll also want the upgraded vang, cunningham and outhaul system.

Wooden foils are slightly thicker, and provide a better lift. So if they are in good shape you should use them.
Some of the older boats are pretty stiff. The problem is often the weight.
Georg

where did you hear that the boards were carbon. the boards that are being supplied today are a steel reinforced high density foam boards. but yeah i would look for a newer boat.

Back