Wondering about Radial

TravisR

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a Radial over the winter but am having troubles with my weight. I am 5'4, 125lbs and am 14. I know Radial is 130-160, and I am less than that since optimum is at least 140. Would you guys recomend me getting a Radial at my size or go with something smaller like a Byte till I reach the 145lbs mark?

Ah yes, I thought it might help if you guys know that I know how to sail, I am in Silver if that means anything to anyone, (don't know if you use the same rankings in the USA as Canada) and have been sailing most of the summer for the past 6 years.

im 13, 5'7" and weigh 120. im in radial, and doing pretty good. i can keep it down in 15kts. you just need to learn how to hike.

at that weight, if you want to eventually go into a radial, you're probably better going into a 4.7 to start with, just so, if you do happen to be sailing in heavier winds, you don't have to hike so much, i was in a radial for a few years and got tired of having to hike like a superhuman to keep it in any position other than horizontal, so i went for a 4.7 and now its much easier to sail without the added effort of hiking so far. another alternative is to go to the gym and start weights training/eating more carbs to bulk up, this will get you to the weight you want to be for a radial quickly

What? Duct tape a 10 pound weight to the deck, you'll be fine! J/K but anytime I've gone with less, either HP, sail size or $$, I've always regretted it. Go with the radial, if it's too much (which I doubt it will be), hit McDonalds a couple times a week, you'll put on the weight FAST.:):):)

One more thing, Sk8tingsailor, above, is only 13. You don't want a 13 year old smokin' ya do you? Ha, Ha, Just kidding, have fun either way:):):)

I'm 16 and 136 lbs and 5'10" and i started in a radial when i was 5'6 and 130 lbs and u was fine but had to hike like hell on the heavier days. And at 14 you are still growing so in the next year or so you are definatley going to put on some pounds and get a bit taller so i definatley suggest goin for the radial. And don't go for the byte cause when you are to big for it you have to get a whole new boat unlike the laser were you just need a new bottom section and sail. And plus you are already an experianced sailor (Silver?) so you already know pretty much how to de power the boat effectively.

There is NO 4.7 rigs where I live, I would either get a Radial or Byte, and I think Radial is the much better option now.

Go with the Radial...You will learn to depower and hike better than the 140 lbers starting out. I did frostbiting 2 years ago when I weighed 120 and its a consistent heavy breeze in the spring...It will make you a much better sailor to start out in the Radial.

you are going to be growing in the next few years, and you will probably end up weighing enough for the full rig, so don't get the byte...

Back