winterize???

We usually just keep them upside down a little off the ground. To keep them of the ground we put 2x4's on cinder blocks and lay the boat on them. If possible i would try to keep in indoors, away from the weather. And if you have a cover, i would put it on. Keep as much of the boat out of the weather as possible.

Inside a warm garage or basement is best. I don't have either, so I store mine deck down either over head in the carport or on the trailer outside. Deck down keeps any water from filling the mast tube or cockpit and the possibility ice causing damage. If you have ports, dry your hull inside as well. As sailorf2 says, keep them covered outside, I use a silver coloured tarp, blue or green cheapies will work also. I would add - leave your ports open (if you have them), tape screening over them to keep the squirrels and other critters and bugs out (check the screen every so often, the tape may let go).

Best thing to do is to keep it at some yacht club where they do frostbite racing. Just give it a full immersion in ice cold saltwater every weekend and you and the fish will be fine.

Don't forget to empty the refrigerator, pump out the head and to add RV antifreeze to the water tank.....(I have the cruising version).

Really, I store mine in the garage on its side. The edges on the newer style boats are very strong and when the boat is on it's side, it doesn't take up much space.

In Florida, we winterize by sailing in regattas every other weekend until Easter. Might have to break out the spray jacket in December and January, but the beverages stay colder, longer.

Some winterizing highlights:
Sunfish Challenge Cup, Fort Myers, FL (same site as '07 Midwinters) 2-3 December 2006
Sunfish Midwinter National Championships, Fort Myers, FL (8-11 March 2007)
Sunfish International Masters, Punta Gorda, FL (16-18 March 2207

Kevin

Kevin Pierce said:
In Florida, we winterize by sailing in regattas every other weekend until Easter. Might have to break out the spray jacket in December and January, but the beverages stay colder, longer.

Some winterizing highlights:
Sunfish Challenge Cup, Fort Myers, FL (same site as '07 Midwinters) 2-3 December 2006
Sunfish Midwinter National Championships, Fort Myers, FL (8-11 March 2007)
Sunfish International Masters, Punta Gorda, FL (16-18 March 2207

Kevin
Very nice :) We "break out" the spray top for 1/3 of our season - and another 1/3 is drysuit weather - here in Chicago.

Most of what I've seen and of all the different ways people winterize them, the best I've seen is from my uncle. He puts his sunfish and laser, on dollys, in the dining room. The table goes in the garage.

I live in east central Florida and I've already been sailing with my spray top a few times. We have had a few fronts come down and given us some nice wind, but the air temperature has been a little cool. The water has not cooled down much, but it won't be long. Once the water cools down then I will need the spray top more.

I got laughed at last winter during the Master Midwinters because I wore my spray top and wet suit the first day. It was held in Tampa but when the wind picked up and was cooled by the water it was actually a bit chilly. I noticed more people wearing spray tops the next day.

Back