Winter storage

barnmom

Sadly we need to plan to take boat off Beach in two weeks and disassemble for storage in our garage. I wonder if anyone can tell me just how much disassembling we have to do? Can we leave the sail on the mast and lie flat next to boat on the dolly? Does boat have to be stored upside down? If so why? I can pop off the rudder and tiller easily. Appreciate any instruction and very much appreciate having a forum to ask!

Lean the boat against a wall with a towel under the side. Leave the sail on the spars with the outhauls loosened, dry and rolled up on itself. Make sure to wear black shoes and white socks, striped button down long sleeve shirt with sleeves rolled up and Melvins. Post pictures or it didn't happen :)

Cheers
Clark and Skipper

sunfish garage storage.jpg

I think the boat was designed to be stored "on-edge", with the drain plug open. (Why we see so many drain plugs jammed-shut).

Wide swings of temperature, such as found in the northern tier of the US, produce condensation within the hull. (The temperature inside the hull is slow to respond to warming, and water vapor drawn from outside the hull condenses inside).

Alternatively, I'd leave it "deck-down". If the boat has an inspection port, I'd leave it open—but protected from rodent intrusion—using "hardware cloth". Special screens are made to "pop" into open inspection ports, but may be insufficient against sharp little teeth! Sails should be stored indoors, as rodents are especially happy to make their homes of Dacron! :eek:

Thank you all. We will store in a heated garage on the dolly with spars and sail alongside. I will look for a striped button down shirt— have everything else all ready. Meantime I hope to get one last weekend of sailing next week if the forecast holds.

Thank you all. We will store in a heated garage on the dolly with spars and sail alongside. I will look for a striped button down shirt— have everything else all ready. Meantime I hope to get one last weekend of sailing next week if the forecast holds.
I’m in NJ & I just bought three boats. I hope to sail each one over the next month.
I have a wet suit & looking at a hood & booties.

I’m in NJ & I just bought three boats. I hope to sail each one over the next month.
I have a wet suit & looking at a hood & booties.
I recommend layering waterproof pants and a light rain jacket over the wetsuit. If you can avoid getting soaked, that makes for a more enjoyable experience overall. But… if you do go in, the insulating effect of the wetsuit will keep you from hypothermia.

I recommend layering waterproof pants and a light rain jacket over the wetsuit. If you can avoid getting soaked, that makes for a more enjoyable experience overall. But… if you do go in, the insulating effect of the wetsuit will keep you from hypothermia.
Good idea

I will make my usual pitch about storing a Sunfish outside. Deck down storage on padded saw horses covered with sturdy tarp is fine but do not store the boat under the eaves of a building where snow or ice may fall or under trees with overhanging limbs that may fall (see photo). I know of several Sunfish
and other small craft that have been "totaled" by falling ice or downed tree limbs. Also tie the hull to the ground in some way to prevent the hull from being blown off the saw horses in heavy winter winds; a screw-in stake sold in pet stores for dog runs works well. Try to get all of the water out of the hull before storing
L1010915-4.JPG
to prevent freeze/expansion issues.

Alan Glos

Righting the Sunfish after storage "deck-down" might confound a solo sailor. :confused:

Today, I raised my Sunfish from slumber by a non-intuitive use of standard parts. :)

Herewith pictured below, I'm using a heavy "horse-lead" from Tractor Supply. It's strong, it floats, ties easily, and is easy on the hands.

Fullscreen capture 1082021 90012 PM.bmp.jpg

I had assistance storing it away, so I placed it firmly against my neighbor's wooden fence. :cool: The deck's edges were supported off the ground by a "ring" of assorted 2x4" scraps.

When the time came to retrieve it, there was no helper. :confused: Faced with this awkward situation, a moderate pull on the daggerboard popped it upright.

Back