Winter Storage - Tips?

Saltydog87

Planning to store my Sunfish over the winter in my garage by putting it on its starboard side on a wood cradle with some padding that will be along the side of the garage.
I know there are other members who have made lateral storage for sunfish…any tips? In particular, any angle recommendations (90 degrees, 75, 60)?
I’m planning to measure the dimensions of the hull along the length of the boat so I can account for this with the points of contact when it’s on its side, so that it has more even weight distribution.

1632938450655.png

Lol so you’re saying that as long as I have the weight bearing across the beam, I’m making this more complicated in my mind than it is? :eek:
Where is this from, the Sunfish manual/bible?

Based on this I could just throw down some old carpet on the garage floor, put it on that and maybe some cut pool noodle to support aft. That would be…very easy.

On newer fish it's a good idea to store the boat on its starboard side with the drain plug unscrewed in case there's any water in the hull. I also have 4-inch Ronstan inspection ports in front of the daggerboard trunk which I leave open in the winter to facilitate drying out.

I don't leave my ports open, otherwise some critter will make a home inside.

'Messy, or in some cases--like wasps--dangerous or even fatal. :eek: (I lost a good friend through anaphylactic shock--beware).

Alternatively, when the boating season starts, you can start needed fiberglass repairs, and let the ants out. :rolleyes:

Yep, worked like a charm. Have it resting on some scrap carpet under the beam and an old floaty aft. Starboard side down with the plug open. Inspection ports left closed. Glad I didn’t try to do anything fancier, because she just fit!
Hoping those rubber rub marks from the trailer come off easily - I worked hard on that new gelcoat this Spring! :eek:

2273DA12-CEE3-43BF-9CFF-F2B51742630C.jpeg

So I have metal rolling cart that holds 2 fish on their sides. I made it up from stuff I had around and I happened to find some sort of angle iron cart thing in the trash. I added some metal to it and I have a cart.

I have a third fish. I used some chunks of that higher density packing foam and leaned up against the wall.

The easy part is storing the boat as pictured. The hard part is finding the high waisted shorts and plaid button down shirt. You can borrow the black shoes and white socks from Alan. The photo came from a 1965 Alcort brochure.

1965 1958 Alcort Price list.png

Or you could have left it on top of your 1964 station wagon...

IMG_4560.jpg

I like to think that the boat in the brochure is Skipper's 1965 Sunfish WAVE.

I don't leave my ports open, otherwise some critter will make a home inside.

'Messy, or in some cases--like wasps--dangerous or even fatal. :eek: (I lost a good friend through anaphylactic shock--beware).

Alternatively, when the boating season starts, you can start needed fiberglass repairs, and let the ants out. :rolleyes:
My inspection port cover fell out over winter, and a mink took up residence! :confused: Shredded Styrofoam is everywhere-inside-and it all got soaked with rainwater last night.. :(

craft nice supports and set it up as a coffee table in your living room.

I invert mine in the woods on a trailer, well off the ground and tarped to keep weather and sun off. Northern Michigan. Sail is on the spars but carefully rolled wrinkle and pinch free, in the garage. Sail should be high, where there is no danger of mice. Wood bits, rudder & board indoors.

I leave my ports off all my boats over the winter, use painters' tape to secure nylon screening over the openings, done it for years, never had anything get inside, ever.

Back