Winter storage outside - old tires as a base?

Fish76

My ~72 fish is going to be stored outside in northern MA, off trailer this year. I'm wondering if a reasonable approach would be to put it deck-down on a few old tires. Would that be preferable to being on-edge for the winter up against a building? Or, if on edge, would a tire be a reasonable base? On edge, I might be able to leave an inspection port open (hard to crawl up to....). Thanks.

Either way, but old tires draw nosy neighbors to County code books. (Inverted, condensation will empty out through the port).

Either way, I'd locate a screened port cover to keep critters from overwintering or nesting. (Mostly thinking paper wasps). :eek: I have a fibreglass-screened port cover, but it's only 3 inches across, and doesn't fit anything I own. :confused:

Either way, tires are likely to leave a smudge. A square of waxed paper would help. I'd also secure your Sunfish against strong winter gusts.

Thanks. Will probably go with the edge option. Interesting comment above about worrying about wind. I don't think of these as being movable upside-down! tx

At least tether it to a tree, so it doesn't take out a neighbor's fence. :rolleyes:

New Englanders don't want to be reminded of their three worst windstorm events, destroying thousands of boats. (Even Toronto, too!)

Back