Winter storage on Kittyhawk trailor

OldDog

Hi All,

This is my first year with a Laser and am researching the best methods for winter storage. I live in New Jersey and have my boat on a Kittyhawk trailer. Reading that the Kittyhawk is better than convention bunk trailers as it supports the boat properly buy the gunnels (the stronges area) and not on the hull I was thinking that I would just roll the trailer in the garage for the winter. Seemed like an obvious solution since the boat sits on the trailer all summer.

In searching threads it appears there are some who would discourage this as it may lead to hull/deck separation over the long haul. The question this raises in my mind if that supporting the boat by the gunnels is the best method for transport over the road where the boat will be subject to shock loading due to road bumps, is this less damaging than storing the boat statically suspended by it's gunnels?

This then raises the next question, winter aside, should I always remove the boat from the trailer and store it in some other fashion even through the summer?

The question then comes down to storage options ( trailer, upside down on bunks, on its side, suspended from ceiling, resting on tires.......).
1. If you have a Kittyhawk trailer, do you keep you boat on it all year around?
2. If you would not keep it on a trailer how would you store it (deck down, on it's side?) and what leads you to that decision?

Thanks

Anytime I don't use my boat I have it on a dolly supported by the gunnels. Haven't done it any other way, and haven't been proven otherwise that it's bad for the boat.

Hi All,

Reading that the Kittyhawk is better than convention bunk trailers as it supports the boat properly buy the gunnels (the stronges area) and not on the hull I was thinking that I would just roll the trailer in the garage for the winter.
Thanks

You already know the answer.

My boat sits on the dolly all summer, and when stored in the winter it is on the Kitty Hawk trailer. It is always supported at the bow and under the gunwales, and I have never thought of doing it any other way. Never had a problem.

Your only concern should be keeping water out of your mast step with the boat upright. If enough gets rain water in there and freezes long enough, you'll have a pain of a repair job. Make sure you deck cover doesn't leak and maybe also duck tape it to seal it off. Keep your cockpit drain plug open.

Your only concern should be keeping water out of your mast step with the boat upright. If enough gets rain water in there and freezes long enough, you'll have a pain of a repair job. Make sure you deck cover doesn't leak and maybe also duck tape it to seal it off. Keep your cockpit drain plug open.

That or put a cup in the mast step so it water won't go into the step.

hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. The boat will be in the garage so there is no concern of snow. The idea of blocking off the mast step with a cup, tape or plug of some sort is a good hint even for the summer. My cover does let water through and I wouldn't want water to just puddle in there.

Back