Winter Sailing Gloves

GBR139438

Hi all, having sailed through December in the U.K in short finger gloves when the air temperature was 33-40 Fahrenheit i found that my hands were unbearably cold. Is it possible to wear full finger gloves for laser sailing or is it impossible to untie knots etc. ?
I'm looking at buying a pair of winter gloves for next weekend as in the last two weeks the air temperature hasn't risen above 35 Fahrenheit. Can anyone recommend a good pair? the rooster ones look good but are they worth the money?
Cheers
Clare

I have two sets of winter gloves, Gill , and magic marine. If it's not too cold I use the Gill . they are similar in construction to the Rooster ones (that I have also tried) but seem to be warmer. When it gets really cold (like now) I use the Magic Marine gloves. They are dry gloves and so your hand stay quite dry and warm. Sailing with either pair of gloves is not really a problem, however it is sometimes a bit tricky rigging and derigging with knots and shackles.

Have a look at sealskinz gloves , They are waterproofnand breathable. I got a pair for Xmas and the socks, I've worn them for everything except sailing yet. Didn't feel the cold or damp when taking the ice off covers the other weekend. Get them on most online shops now purple etc. I didn't like the rooster gloves I got a few years ago.

The short finger gloves will make your hands colder at this time of year - wet material that has no insulation properties with wind chill. You would be better off sailing with no gloves than with those (I actually don't wear gloves at all and my hands are fine, even with the present weather on the UK south coast).

If you do want gloves you need to think about how your hands get cold. If they get progressively colder as the day goes on then get some with good insulation properties. If they get cold very quickly then you need some with wind chill protection.

I think it should not be overlooked that if your core is not warm enough, you will have no extra heat to send to your extremities.

Hi all thanks for your comments/suggestions. In the end i got a pair of magic marine 'pro winter' gloves off ebay :D. I find that im getting very cold sailing even when wearing a drysuit with several layers underneath it. I think if i was to spend less time in the water i wouldn't get as cold, but thats just my lack of experience.
Cheers
Clare

I'm wearing a dry suit over a wet suit, sailing in 30 fahrenheit and up, even when water gets in, the wet suit still stays warm and its reasuring if there is a breach in the dry suit your covered (no pun).

Back