Winter Maitenence and improvement

havent tried sailing in the winter. I dont think i have the wardrobe yet. I don't race. I just enjoy the sailing.

I'm going to restore the hull of my boat over the winter. the previous owner painted the bottom with blue paint to match the hull. I'm going to sand it down and paint it with white gelcoat...like it came from the factory. I'm also going to install a hiking strap, which should be interesting because my boat was built before the aft compartment was added.

I'd be interested to know what gear is requiredor works best for various water and air temperatures. And when do you say it's too _____ cold?

fishfun said:
I'd be interested to know what gear is requiredor works best for various water and air temperatures. And when do you say it's too _____ cold?

We are getting off topic, but there is a lot of info on this latter topic on this forum. For instance, http://www.sunfishforum.com/showthread.php?t=1650

You can use the 'search' function to find more insights. You may also want to visit the Laser forum for other preferences (www.laserforum.org). Clubs that run frostbite series may have on-line help as well.

When do we say it's too cold? Very personal of course; for me it's when there is snow on the ground because I am likely to slip carrying the boat (on its trailer) to the water. Or when my fingers or toes are likely to freeze off (typically when the outside temp is around 30F; but I confess to being a weakling). Obviously, ice presents a problem as well for most of us. But there is some video available on the internet (check the previously mentioned Laser site) of Finnish Laserites who sail right off the ice. Tough genes, I guess.

Well, I recall a winter day about 35 yrs. ago. Feb. 15th. to be exact. The temp. went up to 50 so I took the Sunfish out in Cotuit harbor dressed in street clothes. I know the sight of the sail must have caught a few eyes from shore. I heeled her over just like it was a warm summer day! There were no other boats to be seen. The only complements I got was how foolish I was. Well, I've got the memories, they don't!

Back