Winter gear trouble.

Sailing4LIFE

During winter (in florida) it does get pretty cold sometimes. I wear a Full wetsuit and a spraytop over it and sometimes a thin fleece in between but i still seem to be cold sometimes. I'm thinking about investing in an inshore/coastal jacket to go over my spraytop. Will this work?

You don't want to get the jacket on top of the spray top - movement will be too restricted.

Before all else, I'd cover my head, and wear the least amount of stuff on my torso. Warm feet will help too.

If you are still cold -
You may want to try a thin (.5mm) titianum lined shortsleeve wetsuit top under your wetsuit, it reflects the heat back on your body really well. The alternative is a thin polypro layer under the suit.

Even if I purchased a large jacket would I still be restricted?
Which company do you think provides the best titanium tops?
Is the fleece good to wear also?

SEA has some great gear for keeping warm in the winter. I sail in Canada through the winter and here is what I recommend:

Top:
Ultra-Warm metalite top
https://id417.van.ca.securedata.net...product_info.php?cPath=0_13_28&products_id=17

On really cold days, add the Thermo Skin as a base layer
https://id417.van.ca.securedata.net...nager/product_info.php?cPath=4&products_id=15

Hiking pants:
Ultra-warm metalite hikers
https://id417.van.ca.securedata.net...anager/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=7

and again, if your legs get cold, add a Thermo Skin base
https://id417.van.ca.securedata.net...r/product_info.php?cPath=13_27&products_id=23

Put a spray-top over the above, and you will be toasty through the winter.

The jacket is a bad idea. Too restrictive and very bulky if you capsize.

I sail through the winter and used to wear a drysuit as soon as it turned a bit chilly. Over the last few years there have been many new layering garments available and i now pretty much wear the same things all year round, just doning and shedding layers as neccessary.

What you need is a good "aquafleece" type garment from someone like Gill or Rooster, a thin 1mm titainium wetsuit as a base layer and a couple of thin base layer tops. These will keep you warm even if you take a swim.

Have a look at the Rooster website (expensive but good) There are some informative product videos that might give you an idea about what would work for you.

http://www.roostersailing.com/merch...ode=2&Product_Code=AFMALERD&Category_Code=out

You need to add some good base layers under that wetsuit to keep your core warm.
I wear Rooster Polypro top (and leggings) as my base layer. I then add hottops (I love the SEA Metalite Tops) or a Rooster Thermaflex as an additional warming layer. This all goes under my hikers (or your wetsuit). You can vary this lot according to just how cold the conditions are on the day.

You also need a good windproof/water proof to go on top. Something like the Rooster Aqua fleece or the Gill Thermal Winter Top.

As others have also said keep your head covered - you lose a heck of a lot of heat out the top of your head so put a warm hat on. I always feel warmer when my neck is warm so wear a fleece neck gaiter when its cold.

So, basically i need to invest in some metallite and thermal tops. I own a cloumbia fleece that I wear so i think im good on that area.

Go to the discount bin at a dive shop and get a thick (quarter inch) wetsuit hood. As is, it's way too constricting to wear sailing, but cut off the neck and as much of the bottom as you like to suit your fashion sensibilities (it'll look dorky no matter what!) and you'll have a nice neoprene hat that comes down over your ears and covers the back of your neck. This will make an amazing amount of difference keeping you warm.

If you want, you can take some of the surplus material you cut off and fashion mouse ears to glue onto the top with some wet suit cement. Then, instead of merely looking dorky, you can strike terror into your competition by looking utterly insane.

If you want, you can take some of the surplus material you cut off and fashion mouse ears to glue onto the top with some wet suit cement. Then, instead of merely looking dorky, you can strike terror into your competition by looking utterly insane.

LOL...I am so doing that...Sailing in a Batman helmet

During winter (in florida) it does get pretty cold sometimes. I wear a Full wetsuit and a spraytop over it and sometimes a thin fleece in between but i still seem to be cold sometimes. I'm thinking about investing in an inshore/coastal jacket to go over my spraytop. Will this work?

Spend a winter in Michigan ice fishing, playing pond hockey, duck hunting, etc...

You'll never need more than shorts and a life jacket to sail in Florida, year round.

cudo to glexpress,

I was going to offer to you to spend a single winter here in Quebec city, to see what cold really means, you would never complain about being cold again in Florida....We go down to your beautiful state in the winter to warm up! :D

Just imagine what -30C feels like, while standing on a frozen lake...;)

Wanna trade a winter? please I beg you just one! one tiny short one!:)

If it can help, around here in the spring, (colder than your coldest winter day) we would wear, thermal long johns under a wet suite, same with long sleeve t-shirt, socks in booties and gloves in neoprene gloves ( all poly propylene, of course) thickness depends on your resistance to cold, a good tuke, or hat covering your hears etc.

We don't bring a shovel or a snow blower, too heavy for a Laser I.

Enjoy!

G

I would add some extra layers under the wetsuit, a better hat and insulated or waterproof gloves (if you don't already).

When are you feeling cold, when you're working hard during the race or in between races?

Back