Wind Shift Issues

laser2_9804

I sail on a river and the wind is usually pretty shifty, especially on the way around the corner. I have been sailing there for a while, but I still can't pick the windshifts and consequently it is slowing me down. I will be hit by a shift and the sails will back, or the boat will stop, or whatever, and all the other boats around me just keep sailing. They all just say that it effects everyone, and that they are difficult conditions etc, but if it effects everyone then why am I always so far back? Yesterday the other boats were already back onshore and de-rigged by the time I crossed the finish line.

Also, what should I do if I get hit by a HUGE shift? I had some yesterday when I was coming back around the corner - they were so huge that both sails backed and the boat started coming over on top of me. I barely understand what is happening to the boat, and why, let alone what to do about it. We almost ended up in the drink a number of times. No-one else gets affected like that, but I have no idea what they are doing that I am not doing.

I have the chance to sail with the top sailor in the fleet, but when I've sailed with him in the past he just picked all the shifts, but couldn't explain how he did it. It didn't help me very much as neither my crew or I can pick the shifts, and therefore I need to know what to do when we get hit by one.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Hard to say without actually experiencing it. Could be you need to pay more attention to the groove you're sailing in. Sometimes the wind twists before it shifts - that would be relayed through the helm and give you enough warning.

Afraid I cannot offer much advice but will be reading suggestions from others as one lake where I sail has the same wind effects. I have only recently started sailing there but the wind is very gusty as well as changing direction the entire time. It can shift around so often as to make it impractical to keep tacking. I have experienced wind direction shifts of over 90 degrees virtually instantaneously.

One thing I have noticed is that when hit by a gust or stronger wind I am a bit reserved about leaning out too far as I know the boat will come over on top of me in a few moments time. I can literally be dumping the sail to avoid capsizing one moment and 5 seconds later sitting to leeward. Other people say "il faut faire très attentive" (or words to that effect and spoken at the speed of light).

The few times I've sailed there the wind has always been from the same direction and I've noticed a few things:

Spotting the shifts is not to difficult (I find wind shifts on the sea are harder to spot and estimate how far the wind has shifted).

On "my lake" there are patterns. I have certainly found one place where the wind tends to drop and turn dramatically. Of course these change with wind strength and direction but I guess it makes local knowledge very important (and takes a long time to get to know these patterns).

The changes in direction often happen in gusts or lulls. Thus watching the surface upwind can warn you of a change (remembering that a change in wind strength will have an effect on apparent wind direction until the boat speed "catches-up"). "My lake" is too small to see any wind direction effects on a gust (plus I assume that, being in a city, they are mostly caused by turbulence rather than rising/falling air - but I'm no expert so others might be able to give more about the causes and natures of gusts).

I think that such conditions are one of the hardest to deal with and thus it is very good training and experience. Somebody at the club made the same comment in relation to people learning to sail - harder but they end-up much better.

Other than that (which is probably not much help) - I also welcome comments on how to cope with such conditions.

Ian

In reference to the HUGE shift, are you asking about how to keep from backing everything and almost swimming or how to handle the shift tactically?

I sail in the upper reaches of the Swan river in Perth, at Maylands Yacht Club and its also very well known for being very shifty. Visiting sailors esp from sea based clubs have often expressed exasperation after sailing here and ask how we put up with it. Its something that certainly takes some time to get used to and if you can just handle most of the shifts/gusts properly, it can make a huge difference to your finish place. Also its very common for guys to go in backwards as the wind goes behind the sail.
Like you I can't pick what type of shift is coming, ie what direction, but I can see that there is a shift/gust coming. We get very gusty sea breezes with lots of shoreline trees/buildings and the gusts come through in narrow lanes and true downburst-type spreads. Sailing upwind I watch closely for these gusts and get prepared - which will mean easing the main and heading down slightly, so I can sit in a bit and not fall back. As the gust hits and I work out the direction, I then trim to suit and sail on - maybe a bit slow but better than getting a huge lean or falling in.
I'm also getting better by anticipating the wind if it looks like a real "downburst" - often it really does work that as the gust comes downwind and crosses in front of the boat, the leading edge will be a header, but if you push through it there'll be a really nice lift up the back. Whether I tack before or after the gust depends on how close I am to which bank.
Also I've learnt to use the shore landmarks as indicators of lifts/headers. Every time I tack, as soon as I'm properly trimmed, I sight something in front on the shore. Then I watch this to tell if I'm getting lifted or knocked - usually the gusts are string enough that its "bleedin obvious", but I see the newer guys who are so concerned about not getting blown over, often heading at ridiculously low angles on the wrong tack - as they say - keep you head up and look around a lot.

Back