Wind indicators

Glen

Ok,
Are wind indicators worth it?
If so..what is the best one to buy?
is their really apoint to them?
Is there a difference between the plastic solid ones, and the flag/string types?

Glen said:
Ok,
Are wind indicators worth it?
If so..what is the best one to buy?
is their really apoint to them?
Is there a difference between the plastic solid ones, and the flag/string types?

I guess you tell use one to tell if you are being covered. It points at the boat covering you.

Merrily

Howdy Glen,
Windex's in my opinion are a must especially in light air. They help you detect subtle shifts, make adjustments in boat trim and in general help you sail the best possible pointing angle while maintaining optimium boat speed. Another thought is after a capasize or a rain storm and your tell tales are plastered to the sail they are a good back up. My favorite is the Kingfisher w/the elastic holder mast mount. I also first tried the Davis model but I had issue's with it due to the little screw adjustment that didn't want to keep it properly positioned. That's my two cents worth:)
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

I use a Davis. I find it most useful when I'm tacking. I keep an eye on it while tacking, and when it points to a certain direction I know that I can straighten out the tiller/balance my weight etc. Fishingmickey said everything else I can think of.

For ~$20-$30, I think it's one of the best upgrades out there :).

Indicators are a vital part to laser sailing. In the light and shifty conditions you can pick up those little shifts that others would not be able feel. I also use this during the offwind legs. Shows where your general trim should be.

Davis-breaks more often, better wind reading.

Where do you put your wind indicator? I have the one with the elastic strap that can be mounted on the boom or the mast, but I can't seem to find a good place that doesn't get caught by the vang or is too low to get a good reading without interference from the boat.

A compromise. Just below the boom is popular, facing forward, but runs the risk of being taken out by other boats booms on the starting line - it is however the best "line of sight" position. As does the bow mounting. The masthead option will be destroyed if you capasize, turtle, and stick the top of the mast in mud.

Ryan Minth has a new, below the boom design (C-Vane is the product name) that does a nice job of protecting the vane from mainsheets and booms of other boats.

You can reach him via ryan at c-vane.com

C-vane Headquarters
27 East 63rd Street
New York, NY 10021
(212) 292 SAIL

rock steady said:
Good for sailing by the lee downwind too. This is a must have item for anyone racing.

When I am by the lee downwind, my wind indicator (Kingfisher) just spins round and round and round in a blur. I think it must be the flow exiting the "leech" (i.e. the mast end of the by-the-lee sail)

I like slipping a flag style indicator (cheap at west marine) into front of sail sleve at top of mast. it shows wind shadow when running, and tells who's shadow you are in. it also helps with judgement of how far by the lee you are. upwind it has no value to me.

I bought three this year and returned one because I didn't like it. By far my favorite is the Kingfisher. It's very sensitive and seems to be very accurate. I have heard they can get caught on someone else'e mainsheet if you have them mounted on the mast just below your boom, and get pulled off this way. You can mount it upside down to prevent this. Or you can not worry about it because they are only about $20 and seriously, how many times it that going to happen? I also have a masthead fly, but I don't feel I can recommend it. It hasn't been very useful to me.

Back