wind indicators

As the rules stated:

23. WIND INDICATORS
(a) Wind indicators may be attached as desired
provided the sail is not cut and the buoyancy
qualities of the hull and mast are not impaired.
(b) Ribbons, wool or similar wind indicators may be
attached to the sail.

Thats are all analog indicators, digital indicators may be still not legal.

No digital indicators allowed on a Laser. You can have a digital watch, but not compass or GPS. Telltales and flies are allowed.

Yesterday, sailing in glorious sunshine I was struggling to see the leeward telltales when the sun was behind me so I thought about fitting a masthead flag / wind indicator / burgee / thingy.

I've had one on previous boats and fitting has been a case of riveting a bracket to the outside of the mast and clipping it in. I think this won't work on a laser, surely the bracket would not do the sail any good. Does anyone out there have a masthead wind indicator, is it a laser specific one ? if not how have you fitted it ?

Thanks all.

Martyn

I've had one on previous boats and fitting has been a case of riveting a bracket to the outside of the mast and clipping it in. I think this won't work on a laser,

I have never used a top indicator, but i get told you stick the long bar between tube and sail, thats it ! Don't know what will happen on capsizing. Maybe some duck tape to secure.

HTH

I have never used a top indicator, but i get told you stick the long bar between tube and sail, thats it ! Don't know what will happen on capsizing. Maybe some duck tape to secure.

HTH

Thats all you need to do put the sail on the mast and slide the indicator inbetween the sail and the mast. Push most of the rod in so there's only enough above the sail to allow free movement and it'll not come out.

However I use a windex with it's mount taped to the bow eyelet. Make sure the centre board elastic is behind the mount and your painter is in front of the mount.

I generally use a burgee at the top but if you get the kicker tight it can slide down in the gap between sail and mast. If you put a cork or similar with a hole that fits tightly then it can't slide down.

What happens when you capsize depends on the depth of water and whether it turns upside down. If you have one of those burgees with a plastic balance weight they can break while wire ones can be straightened out.

Russell

Back