wind indicator for bow eye?

rtdanforth

I'm looking for recommendations for a wind indicator designed to be attached to the bow eye (as opposed to the mast). Thanks.

I'm sure you can make a base that fits flat under the bow-eye and has an over the bow-eye part into which you could mount an opti-style or mast-top wind-indicator. Or you can take a mast-mounted one and bend the "wire" 90 degrees so the indicator is parallel to the deck/points into the wind. I've never seen a pret-a-porter bow eye mounted one, but it would be easy to make one out of wood/lucite/foam/whatever you can think of that would not snap and also stay in place.

My recommendation is to get hold of a tiller universal joint (eg Ronstan RF3133) and a wind indicator with straight supporting rod (eg mini hawk).

Screw the fixed part to the fairlead using a couple of stainless steel screws. Drill a hole down the the centre of bendy part, suitably sized so that the supporting rod is a good fit when pushed in.

You can then attach the the wind indicator securely and remove it easily at the end of the day. The flexibility of the u.j. gives the indicator protection against being snapped off by painters, loose ropes, overhanging trees etc.

Dave

I use a davis Sparfly on my sons boat. I drilled the bow eye then mounted the screw in base on the bow eye. We have used it for about 2 seasons and it is still holding out ok. It is in the way only when he wants to rock the boat to get back to shore on a calm day. But he can do it whith out breaking the sparfly if he is carefull.

Back