Why won't my Laser point as high as other boats?

jamesmccannon

Hi, last night I was out in winds topping 25KTS, however, with my full rig, I was unable to point as high as other lasers were pointing even block to block. Does anyone know why this is and how I could fix it as going to the top mark, I was probably loosing 5 boat lengths.

Many thanks

If it was that windy the amount of twist in rig is what allows you to point when it is windy. You should have the outhall with about a 2 inch gap in the middle of the boom, the vang on very hard and the cunno on very hard. Where you sailing with a MKII or a MKI sail? Also how good quality is your sail? Is your weight in range for a full rig and are you able to hold the boat down?

If it was that windy the amount of twist in rig is what allows you to point when it is windy. You should have the outhall with about a 2 inch gap in the middle of the boom, the vang on very hard and the cunno on very hard. Where you sailing with a MKII or a MKI sail? Also how good quality is your sail? Is your weight in range for a full rig and are you able to hold the boat down?

My sail is in fairly good condition and one of the best last night. When it comes to the Cunningham, I had it on as far as it would go and for the kicker, I pulled it on as much as I possibly could, but it was not on as much as it could go. I'm about 100kg so from what I know I'm a good weight.

Ok then it probably comes down to how you were sailing the boat. You have to be quick to drop sheet as the gusts come on to keep the boat tracking forward. It is very important to not to pinch to much or you will stall and go sideways. Your lack of height was probably due to stalling by pointing to high on average or by not easing in the gusts.

Ok then it probably comes down to how you were sailing the boat. You have to be quick to drop sheet as the gusts come on to keep the boat tracking forward. It is very important to not to pinch to much or you will stall and go sideways. Your lack of height was probably due to stalling by pointing to high on average or by not easing in the gusts.
Thanks. As I am 6"3, it probably wasn't a problem of height but more a problem that in the gusts, I was just trying to hike harder.

When I say "lack of height" I mean not being able to point high. You can only hike so hard. If you drop about a foot of mainsheet when you begin to heel over in a puff, then the boat will regrip and go forward.

Maybe it's just me, but when I couldn't point as high as my "Laser Guru" in big wind, I finally noticed he was really using only the back 1/2 of his sail. He let the the luff luff, and still had power to point and drive to weather without getting dumped to leeward and stalling. I adopted that technique and it still works for me.

Back